advertisement

Thorens TD124

Joel came straight back and here are his instructions:
SERVICE
1) Remove platter and rubber mat
2) The platter has to be removed in an absolute straight position. Avoid any type of tilting or shifting.
3) Clean out the bottom bearing with a lint free cotton rag wrapped around the included round wooden bar.
4) Clean the bearing out from any and all oil residue
5) Clean and dry the bearing out with a new lint free cotton rag
6) Spread out 3 ml of bearing oil over the axle of the platter and into the Bearing .
NEVER INSERT THE PLATTER WITH A DRY OIL FREE AXLE!
7) Insert the platter into the bearing. Hold the platter absolutely straight lower it down and give it about one turn of rotation on the downward move.
8) Take out the platter again to visually check and verify that the bearing is filled with
enough oil. The oil level should be slightly above the bearing.
Let turn few Minutes and hear over the platter

The thing I’d add to that is the TD-124 main bearing has a screwed-on bottom thrust-plate assembly that is comprised of two screws, a bottom plate, a paper gasket and a plastic thrust plate. If you are unsure whether the deck has been recently serviced I’d advise removing the whole bearing assembly from the deck (it is held by three chunky M5 bolts accessible from below the deck), stripping it down, thoroughly cleaning it and (this is the important bit) putting a little smear of grease on both sides of the paper gasket. Doing this means you are far less likely to be mopping Joel’s lovely oil up from the table the TD-124 is sitting on - if the bottom seal is not intact it just falls out!

Oiled the bearing as per Joel’s instructions today and noticed that the idler wheel isn’t rotating smoothly. I’m assuming that this is the source of the small amount of noise I can hear when no record is playing. Looks like a need to invest in a new one ? What are my options? Tried fitting the M2/9 arm but my version came with the phono plugs exiting the arm on the side - the result is that I can’t get them clear of the plinth. Put the 3009 back on and it’s sounding great with the new oil.

What do you mean ‘not running smoothly’? Is the wheel damaged (flat-spot), does it have so much run-out it hits the lower speed on the step pulley, or has it a lot of bearing ‘slop’? Is the little nylon washer beneath it present and correct?

The bronze bushing can be replaced, Audio Silente in Italy make them. I did the one currently in the deck and it certainly improved matters.

It looks like it has a flat spot as the rotation seems uneven. Do I need to order a whole new wheel from Audio Silente?

If it really has got a flat-spot, which is unusual, then yes, replacement (either new or used) is really the only option. Can you see it or hear it ‘clunking’ each of its revolutions (i.e. a couple of times per platter revolution)?

Also with the platter off can you feel much vibration in the idler arm assembly when it is running?

It just looks off centre as it rotates and on visual inspection looks like it has uneven wear. Will check again tomorrow for clunks and vibrations.

advertisement

Back