advertisement

Thorens TD-150

christray

pfm Member
Recommend a decent cartridge for the td 150 rega r200 combo about 200 sheets. Also I have seen a Decca ffss arm would that work on it
Cheers folks..

I have found that a Denon DL110 works very well on a TD150 that I have in a second system, although it is on a TP13a which is also a good arm for the 150.

Was also going to recommend the Denon. Just installed one yesterday and it's not bad at all. I used a Formula IV unipivot on my TD150 II which worked well,

doesn't warrant a better cartridge ? the one coming has been replinthed and tidied up so hoping for good things

I'd go with something better than an AT95E for sure, it's great for the money, but the top-end is too lacking to want to stick with it long-term. It's hopelessly outclassed by things like the Denon DL-110, Ortofon 2M Blue etc, as one would hope given they are three times the price. They'll be perfectly happy in a Rega R200 too as long as it's all working correctly.

Tony, if it doesn't function it will be sent of to AO for service , but would i benefit from a better arm although i have read good things about this one. only going down this route as i have tried streaming and it is good but nothing like a record being removed from a sleeve, td 150 is a thing of beauty isn't it .
chris

There's nowt wrong with an RB200, it's a nice arm. There's a few prefer it to the later Rega offerings. The wiring can deteriorate with age as can the rubber belt that does the antiskate. These can be sorted though at some cost.

Read that some prefer it to a 3009. sme quality gear so acosse rega must be resonable. my last venture in vinyl was the amadeus but i want something classic. precursor to the sondek but better engineered yes ? :D

The R200 is a nice arm for sure, I'd not be in any great rush to change it. Just make sure everything (deck and arm) are serviced and performing at their best, stick a nice cart in it and enjoy.

I like the SME but I'd be happy with the RB200 ;) I wouldn't say the TD150 was better engineered than the Sondek but it's probably a more honest piece of kit. I don't think you could get more bang for your buck out of much else.

I'm running a DL110 and RB300, which sounds good to my ears. The 110 replaced a Golding 1042 which worked OK until an amp / speaker upgrade made the overall balance too bass-heavy for my taste.

I'd go with something better than an AT95E for sure, it's great for the money, but the top-end is too lacking to want to stick with it long-term. It's hopelessly outclassed by things like the Denon DL-110, Ortofon 2M Blue etc, as one would hope given they are three times the price. They'll be perfectly happy in a Rega R200 too as long as it's all working correctly.

I've not heard an MM make music better than the 95; more Hi-Fi yes.

It's great fun in a forward and dry way, and amazing value, but it just misses too much info for me. If you like it you should try the AT150MLX - a similar balance but with massively greater refinement, retrieval and tracking ability. I found it too dry and thin (as I do the 95E), but I may have had the loading a bit off.

I had an AT440MLa in an Audio Origami rewired R200 for a while, albeit on a Planar 3. One of the nicest sounds I've ever heard through vinyl in my system.

Well that episode of eBay buying taught me a lesson ,went to collect and was greeted buy the worst bodge I have clapped eyes, a hasty retreat !. Made me laugh though,anyway now looking for a 150 mk2 with a the stock arm . Is it still the same cartridge recommendations.
Christ

If the stock arm is a TP13a then I have one in a second system on a modded TD150 with a Denon DL110 and it sound very good.

I had an AT440MLa in an Audio Origami rewired R200 for a while, albeit on a Planar 3. One of the nicest sounds I've ever heard through vinyl in my system.

I have to agree with this, i had a 440mla in a r200 on a td160 and it had great synergy.

EDIT: just read the above post, no idea with a stock arm.

Regards

Jim

advertisement

Back