advertisement

Thorens td 124 mk2

The EMT has been running for some time. I don't use it as much as the 301 & 124 because I prefer the Decca cartridges to the EMT one, and the EMT's old Ortofon arm doesn't lend itself to those.

wheel is as quiet as these idlers can possibly be. The new production Schopper idler wheel is very noisy in comparison.

The last version fromthe Schopper idlerwheel is ok they changed the hardness from score 70 to 60 ! One of the problems with most older wheels is that they are warped this can not solved imho.

it would have been nice if they had told existing buyers about that, since the one that I bought is so noisy that it's unusable. I was aware that Schopper had used a relatively hard compound, which is probably polypropylene, rather than rubber. Anyway, my point is that an old Thorens idler can typically be rescued at minimal cost (unless it's badly warped), so there really isn't any need to go chasing a new product like Schopper's.

I'm enjoying the Thorens each day more and more excellent on most albums I have tried

Also the Morch seems to mate with it very well

advertisement

Back