advertisement

Thorens noise

pil

pfm Member
Just picked up a lovely 125 but on the few seconds it makes a very slight noise then totally disappears and keeps speed an plays fine

I cleaned the belt which I think was probably the original. Just bought a new one
Also cleaned the sub platter where bets sits any the small white pulley

It hasn’t been used since the late 80s so is doing sterling work
I cleaned all the bearing out and put fresh oil in

would just like to get it to work as there are many things on the 124 and 125 that make them easier to use as you get older

Any ideas?

Turn the outer platter upside down so you can view what’s going on at startup. You may find the belt is moving up or down the pulley then correcting itself. Worth checking the sub chassis is level as well.

Reactions: pil
Or rubbing against the belt guides briefly while it searches for the right spot on the pulley? Nothing to worry about in that case, it’s what they’re for.

Thinking about it, maybe the pulley itself makes a noise on startup, thanks to the clutch mechanism.

Pretty sure mine makes a noise while it gets up to speed.

Nice deck.

I have two MkIIs at the moment that both make a noise on startup. I haven’t worried about it since reading this...

‘The most significant difference between the two turntables is in the motor design and the electronic speed control. With the TD-125 MKII, Thorens introduced a clutch into the pulley which takes up slack in the belt at startup so that a steady speed is achieved more quickly. The 125 has a one piece pulley. In my experience, with a fresh belt on each turntable, it takes approximately 3 to 4 more seconds for the 125 to achieve a steady speed on the strobe. If you’re belt is brand-new or very old, there is sometimes slightly more noise at startup on the TD-125. That’s belt slippage and lasts 1-2 seconds as it gets the torque to spin that heavy platter system.’

https://vinylnirvana.com/differences-between-the-thorens-td-125-and-td-125-mkii

Reactions: pil
I have two MkIIs at the moment that both make a noise on startup. I haven’t worried about it since reading this...

‘The most significant difference between the two turntables is in the motor design and the electronic speed control. With the TD-125 MKII, Thorens introduced a clutch into the pulley which takes up slack in the belt at startup so that a steady speed is achieved more quickly. The 125 has a one piece pulley. In my experience, with a fresh belt on each turntable, it takes approximately 3 to 4 more seconds for the 125 to achieve a steady speed on the strobe. If you’re belt is brand-new or very old, there is sometimes slightly more noise at startup on the TD-125. That’s belt slippage and lasts 1-2 seconds as it gets the torque to spin that heavy platter system.’

https://vinylnirvana.com/differences-between-the-thorens-td-125-and-td-125-mkii
Two’s greedy. Break one up and sell me the motor.

All my various Thorens have done the 'startup dance', no matter how clean or adjusted, my LP12 even did it. I just put it down to belt drive suspended design.

I had this with a 160. I got a screwdriver and slightly levered apart the prongs of the belt lifter - noise disappeared.

advertisement

Back