advertisement

This is what I hate about China!

JohnW

pfm member
http://jalopnik.com/chinese-debut-cheap-range-rover-copy-at-display-next-to-1661546194

I worked in China / Asia for 20 years or so - the more time I spent there the more I'm became to despise their working practices.

There is little respect for Human life, zero towards animals - so why be surprised that IP ownership is such a foreign concept...

I know of a new head of engineering whose first day at work was to "proudly" show the whole engineering team the confidential design files from Arcam and QSC (amongst others) that he had taken with him from his last company - he was so blatant about it he used the meeting rooms video projector that could be seen by everyone thought the glass partition wall in the engineering Dept.

Once this snake arrived we soon ended our consultancy agreement with the company.

Isn't imitation the best form of flattery?

The basic premise is still you get what you pay for. Those in the market for the real thing won't be fooled into buying an imitation, but I can understand the irritation. There are countless imitation Rolexes out there, but I don't think that bothers anyone with a real one.

My only gripe is when it comes to safety and consumer awareness / regulation. As russel posted, there isn't anything to stop the importation of cars with poor safety ratings if they can pass the MOT or equivalent. Tyre brands like LingLong and Triangle copy the same tread patterns as the premium brands, but they are nowhere like the real McCoys. Yet, I see them fitted to good cars because they are cheap and they are a consumable item. I suspect the buyers don't really know or understand; not until they exceed their much lower threshold of grip in dicey conditions.

I'm comforted that there is consumer choice.

Not sure if it's still the same, there used to be a law that the government would pay 120% of the merchantable value of any faulty goods produced to stop them getting a bad name. I didn't know at the time but my family got a very good price on paper chopstick wrappers with a slight spelling miwtakes!

Quote from Land Rover CEO, "I will talk to our officials and I will talk to our partners at Chery to find a way around this situation. I cannot imagine Chinese officials will be happy at any actions that undermine the credibility of the country."

Rover really haven't got a clue about how that place works. Chinese officials would have known exactly what was going on at Chery.

To be fair, cars tend to look very similar because the same design software keeps ending up with the same solution chasing low drag coefficients while meeting safety laws

Formula 1 cars don't look similar because of copying

To be fair, cars tend to look very similar because the same design software keeps ending up with the same solution chasing low drag coefficients while meeting safety laws

Not the Evoque, though. That's a pure case of form over function.

I doubt that anyone about to buy an Evoque would buy this cheap copy instead. Even the Chinese themselves buy the real article... luckily for Louis Vuitton etc

I was going to launch in about their human rights record and trade with/support of North Korea.

Yes they copy everything pretty sharpish as every games console owner will know when looking for (what they think is) official games and accessories. The quality of fakes is getting much better :) A lot of the originals were made there anyway so what did we expect?

They dont give a fig about IP theft. The article says good luck with filing a complaint.

Ive got a Chinese phone sitting there and all my cheap batteries and nick nacks are made in China. We have heavily de-industrialised and trade on their cheaper labour.

so why be surprised that IP ownership is such a foreign concept...

the whole notion of "IP" is an unethical concept meant to preserve monopolies and promote the unfair distribution of wealth. although probably not for the right reasons, the chinese are morally correct in this matter.

vuk.

The Chinese are fu£ced, their economy is on its last borrowed legs

did the obnoxious economist guy who has been wrong about everything for the past 10 years tell you that?

either way, if the chinese economy collapses, do you imagine yours will not go the same way?

vuk.

advertisement

Back