advertisement

Thinking of Lodgesound - playing his Otari MTR12 R2R

topoxforddoc

pfm Member
Stewart Emmings (Lodgesound) passed away almost 2 years ago now from bowel cancer at the age from 49. He taught me everything I know about tape machines and how to set them up. He bequeathed me his Otari MRT12 1/4 inch 2 track machine, which belonged to Dave Stewart at Church Studios. Here it is playing Father Figure from George Michael's Faith - a fitting track in his memory.

Fabulous Charlie I love those Otari MTRs

Yes it was a great shame his passing a such a young age, he was a pleasure to deal with and obviously a talented audio / video engineer

I know you were a close friend so this equipment must be dear to you, I only spoke to him a couple of times and he made up a NAB calibration tape for me

His Studer A820 was also a delight

Alan

Last edited:
Fabulous Charlie I love those Otari MTRs

Yes it was a great shame his passing a such a young age, he was a pleasure to deal with and obviously a talented audio / video engineer

I know you were a close friend so this equipment must be dear to you, I only spoke to him a couple of times and he made up a NAB calibration tape for me

His Studer A820 was also a deligh

Alan

Hi Alan,

I have his A820 too - ex Simon Heyworth, who set up Manor Studios For Virgin in the day. SH was another friend of Stewart's - it's a small world. When some capacitors (AC suppressor and motor controllers) on the 820 went a little while ago, SH's tape technician Simon Griffett, who has known this machine for years, fixed it. I'll post video of that too, when I have some time.

Charlie

I remember a long and interesting chat I has with Stewart at Scalford a few years back, all about his work at the BFI. His room was always one of the highlights of the show.

A really nice man, and sadly missed.

RIP Lodgesound. Hope there's music on your cloud. 49 is no age, you'd be within your rights to feel very shortchanged if that were your lot.

Hi Alan,

I have his A820 too - ex Simon Heyworth, who set up Manor Studios For Virgin in the day. SH was another friend of Stewart's - it's a small world. When some capacitors (AC suppressor and motor controllers) on the 820 went a little while ago, SH's tape technician Simon Griffett, who has known this machine for years, fixed it. I'll post video of that too, when I have some time.

Charlie
Look forward to hearing the Studer A810 in 1/2" tape, its my ultimate R2R player:cool:
Alan

I have fond memories of Stewart playing Pink Floyd “Dark Side of the Moon “ at Scalford.Stunning version..
A lovely guy who passed away far too young .

advertisement

Back