advertisement

Thinking of getting a Naim Muso?

mik60ish

pfm Member
I was thinking about getting a Naim Muso, my question is would I be able to replace my existing set up below. Meaning doing away with Yamaha RX-A840, B & W 2000 IFS Centre Speaker, JPL rear speakers and B&W Subwoofer ASW610.

And still use the Muso with Naim NAC202 to play music from my network player Antipodes Audio Gen1 DV2 4TB Music Server and use the HDMI arc from TV etc hope this makes sense as it might be easier to play sound from say Apple TV without messing with remote control from the Yamaha RX-A840.

Naim Allae speakers

Yamaha RX-A840

B & W 2000 IFS Centre Speaker

Naim NAC202

Naim NAP200

JPL rear speakers

Antipodes Audio Gen1 DV2 4TB Music Server

B&W Subwoofer ASW610

I tried a Naim Muso in John Lewis, just played the radio. Once I got over the novelty of the volume control, the sound for me was very much an anti climax, very average; maybe I was too psyched up reading all those rave reviews about the Muso? Quite honestly I did not know what all the fuss was about, maybe it comes to its own playing HIRes streaming music?

I have a Muso.
It is superb at what it does, one of the best you can buy.
But I don’t understand your question.
If you mean can it be used as a speaker for tv then yes.
I don’t know of any way you could link it to your NAC202.
I once connected mine up to my LP12/Prefix and it was a budget level sound.
It is far better with Tidal, Spotify, accessing my ripped CDs, etc..
Radio sounds very good too.

If you will mainly be playing local files, then a first gen Naim ND5xs or NDX will sit well in your system for around the same money as a new Muso.

OP, are you sure you’re clear about what a Muso is/does?

Perhaps I’m being thick, but it sounds like what you want it to do would actually be a job for a DAC with an ARC input?

I’m confused, would you be keeping your Naim pre-power and speakers to use with the Muso? Not sure why or how you’d do that. Seems a bit downgrade from surround sound to a Muso. Or is the Muso for a second room?

I've had a Muso for several years now and love it! I'm either listening to Internet radio or casting a shared iTunes library of ripped CDs from one of my iMacs using Air Play to my Muso. Frankly, I have absolutely no desire to listen to traditional hifi systems any longer.

I have been listening to Mu-So several times

Its ok for what it is, but feel sort of underwhelmed compared to a "real setup, speakers amp and a good source.

For me it could be used as Kitchen radio or maybe TV Sound
Maybe they should create a battery driven to have easy installed around house.

Not clear for me either what purpose OP is looking for ?

I have been listening to Mu-So several times

Its ok for what it is, but feel sort of underwhelmed compared to a "real setup, speakers amp and a good source.

For me it could be used as Kitchen radio or maybe TV Sound
Maybe they should create a battery driven to have easy installed around house.

Not clear for me either what purpose OP is looking for ?

Agreed...not very clear what he's trying to do. You can redirect sound from various sources into a Muso but you can't send the Muso's output to another device without bodging it. I'd recommend buying something different altogether if that's the case.

I nearly bought a Muso but decided against because when it goes wrong, it’s an expensive doorstop.

I nearly bought a Muso but decided against because when it goes wrong, it’s an expensive doorstop.

My understanding is Naim has a solution for that now. Originally, they'd swap your your broken unit for a refurb but I believe they can service them in Salisbury now. Just don't quote me on that however ;-)

As a one box, compact convenience unit, I’ve yet to hear anything better than the Muso. The Naim control app is also one of the best out there.
Yes it has its limitations, any one box system will.
I also don’t understand what the OP wants to be able to do with it.

I have a Naim Muso 2, a significant improvement on the first generation. I have also owned various expensive Naim multi-box systems over about 30 years. The Muso is great but it cannot match a ‘big’ system in terms of sound quality. However if you want a single box system that can stream online services (e.g Tidal), locally stored files/CD rips and with internet radio then I would suggest this is probably the best available. I have auditioned products from many manufacturers. They are very well made and, unlike the Muso 1, they can be repaired by Naim.

As a one box, compact convenience unit, I’ve yet to hear anything better than the Muso. The Naim control app is also one of the best out there.
Yes it has its limitations, any one box system will.
I also don’t understand what the OP wants to be able to do with it.

Agreed...I got tired of chasing the impossible for decades so ordered a Muso from Amazon just to see if it could keep me happy listening to music. My hifi system never got turned back on ;-)

If you’re expecting proper L-R stereo spread & image depth etc a one box system is never going to be the right choice.
However, for just plain & simple listening to music without demanding the usual “hifi” criteria, it’s a great choice. Suitably sited it can also be used as a soundbar for tv duties.

I have a Naim Muso 2, a significant improvement on the first generation. I have also owned various expensive Naim multi-box systems over about 30 years. The Muso is great but it cannot match a ‘big’ system in terms of sound quality. However if you want a single box system that can stream online services (e.g Tidal), locally stored files/CD rips and with internet radio then I would suggest this is probably the best available. I have auditioned products from many manufacturers. They are very well made and, unlike the Muso 1, they can be repaired by Naim.

I could envision an Amazon truck delivering a Muso 2 at our house to replace another Naim rig upstairs ;-)

If you’re expecting proper L-R stereo spread & image depth etc a one box system is never going to be the right choice.
However, for just plain & simple listening to music without demanding the usual “hifi” criteria, it’s a great choice. Suitably sited it can also be used as a soundbar for tv duties.

We've got our Apple TV and the Visio TV it streams to routing sound to our Muso and it's quite surprising filling up a 20' x33' family room with sound nicely. No complaints from family or friends during movie nights - the walls and furniture rattle appropriately during battle scenes.

My understanding is Naim has a solution for that now. Originally, they'd swap your your broken unit for a refurb but I believe they can service them in Salisbury now. Just don't quote me on that however ;-)
Correct

advertisement

Back