advertisement

Things to visit around Lavenham

Rodrat

pfm Member
I have booked a few nights at the Swan in Lavenham mid August and we are looking for things to do during the day. Neither of us are interested in churches and stately piles but we do like gardens and wildlife walks provided they have some amenities. Suggestions welcome.

Pretty much anywhere along the Stour valley. Just meander.

Long Melford is very nice, especially if you like antiques/collectables. Polstead. Kersey. The Anchor at Nayland. Stratford St Mary and Dedham/Flatford are not far. Boxted and Boxford.

I can't think any "nature rambles" within modest distance that would be especially interesting or more than pretty short.

I am from Colchester, spent 1000's hours fishing all along the Stour and lived in Glemsford for about 5 years.

I have booked a few nights at the Swan in Lavenham mid August and we are looking for things to do during the day. Neither of us are interested in churches and stately piles but we do like gardens and wildlife walks provided they have some amenities. Suggestions welcome.

we stayed there for a cojllle of nights last year, some nice pubs

LOADS of good pubs.

I cant think of any major gardens at all in the area except the hall in Melford - off the green - what is the guide to gardens called? Probably available online?

Stayed at Lavenham two or three years back at the Great House Hotel and they have a separate French Restaurant, because of Covid I am not sure of current status but food and service was brilliant although pricey.
Buildings are very twisted and Quaint so you may need a spirit level or sea sickness pills.

I wanted to go to Sutton Hoo when I had work there. It's shut in the winter. I went for a run and spent the rest of the afternoon asleep. That's what happens when you only get one day off in 5 weeks.

Minsmere RSPB Reserve towards the coast, near Southwold has reopened I think, if that sort of wildlife interests you.

Kevin

Sutton Hoo? Ramsholt? Orford Ness?
Orford Ness is still closed, and no word as yet to when it’ll be open.

If you’re staying in Lavenham, it’s over an hour to drive to the nicer part of the coast, so maybe put that idea on the back burner.

For the first day, I’d consider a gentle drive around the local area. Kersey is a beautiful little village, appeared in the first episode of Lovejoy! Tiny, worth a look, a walk, move on.

The road from Lavenham to Cavendish and Clare is pleasant. Worth parking up and wandering around.

Ickworth house near Bury St Ed’s has pleasant gardens, and a weird house that probably won’t be open but is worth a stare.

Kentwell Hall in Long Melford is also popular.

I’ll keep thinking.

Edit: also Great Cornard country park and Clare country park.

God's country! The Swan used to do splendid afternoon teas, and much of Lovejoy was filmed there. If it's open, a trip round The Guildhall is excellent - just round the corner from The Swan. If you go through the square, past The Angel, and down the hill, you'll come across a very nice walk along the old abandoned railway line.

As Tony mentions, there are lots of beautiful little villages thereabouts - just pootle around in the car. Bury St Edmunds is only a short drive away, worth a wander around the abbey gardens.

We did a whistle-stop tour last year - about this time, my other half's first visit to Zuffolk. As the year progresses things get dusty and by August, harvest is all but done and to me the landscape is less attractive.
It was timed perfectly, the weather was very warm rather than hot, hazy blue skies, everything was green and fresh. Early start from Horseheath (Old Red Lion Inn - highly recommended), Haverhill, Clare, Long Melford, Nayland (the Crown's smokehouse was more than well worth a visit), Stoke-by-Nayland, via the stunning ridge road to Stratford St Mary, Dedham, Lawford, Cattawade, Holbrook (through the school), along the road that follows the south bank of the Orwell, over the Orwell bridge, Snape, Southwold.

Even my other half, a west-country girl, wedded to Devon in particular, fell in love with Zuffolk and the Stour valley in particular (the Stour is the boundary Suffolk-Essex, so not strictly speaking entirely Suffolk).

Rumour has it they're knocking down the lighthouse. Is that true? It's a lovely walk across the Cold War though.
It’s not a rumour. The contractors were about to start the work when that virus thing started. Still there a week ago.

advertisement

Back