advertisement

Things to do on a day out in Manchester

You’ll need to get there by metrolink or cab or by the shuttle bus the council are running.
It’s not near a station.

Your concert ticket covers Metrolink travel. I’m there a couple of times in June. Getting away looks like it will be a nightmare.

There are four excellent craft brewery taps within a 5 minute radius and all over on the same side of town as the Etihad/Co-Op: Track, Cloudwater, Sureshot and Balance (superb blended barrel aged sours). Also, Common and The Port Street Beer House in the Northern Quarter- two of the longest established and best craft beer bars in the city. I think you’re staying at the Gotham? If so, Cafe Beermoth is a short stagger from the hotel and has a massive selection of draft craft ales and bottled stuff.

I think there are two Malmaisons now? One down near Piccadilly Station Approach, and one at the top of Albert Square. Which one are you in?

You may already know this, but James, the guy who set up Cloudwater, was previously head brewer at Marble, the house brewery of the Marble Arch.

lets hope their taproom is not as pretentious as the one on the Bermondsey mile.....staff were to$$ers as were most of the customers......but that could be the greatest ever London.

All 'audiophiles' should pay homage to The Bridgewater Hall, designed and built for optimal acoustics. Don't just isolate your HiFi, isolate your entire building!

"One of the most fascinating aspects of the Hall’s construction is that the entire structure floats free of the ground on almost three hundred, earthquake-proof isolation bearings or giant springs, so there is no rigid connection between the 22,500 ton building and its foundations. This ensures the Hall’s carefully designed acoustic is protected from all outside noise and vibration."

I saw Agnes Obel play there last year - the sound was abysmal, I can only assume it was her own PA system. I sat there thinking this sounds ten times better in my lounge.
I would like to hear an organ recital there.

I also saw her play at the Albert Hall in Manchester which has superb acoustics, though I was stood eight feet away from her.
The Albert Hall also has a fine looking organ, though I don't know if it is functional.

I saw Agnes Obel play there last year - the sound was abysmal, I can only assume it was her own PA system. I sat there thinking this sounds ten times better in my lounge.

I also saw her play at the Albert Hall in Manchester which has superb acoustics, though I was stood eight feet away from her.
The Albert Hall also has a fine looking organ, though I don't know if it is functional.
I walked out of The Divine Comedy at the Bridgewater last year. The sound was abysmal.

Glad it‘s not just me with The Bridgewater. Interestingly, I have not yet had decent sound or anything like it at the Albert Hall and nor have any of my friends bar one.

There are four excellent craft brewery taps within a 5 minute radius and all over on the same side of town as the Etihad/Co-Op: Track, Cloudwater, Sureshot and Balance (superb blended barrel aged sours). Also, Common and The Port Street Beer House in the Northern Quarter- two of the longest established and best craft beer bars in the city. I think you’re staying at the Gotham? If so, Cafe Beermoth is a short stagger from the hotel and has a massive selection of draft craft ales and bottled stuff.
Plus the Blackjack Brewery tap next to Band On The Wall, and Seven Brothers in the square by Halle St Peter's (though I don't rate their beers very highly).

advertisement

Back