advertisement

They lost another sale

Rodrat

pfm Member
Some weeks ago i went into a local tv/ home cinema shop with a view to buying a sound bar. I walked out with nothing due to their rubbish demo ability and dense sales person.

I am now looking to buy a projector having narrowed it down to two models. The above mentioned shop stocked one. After my last experience i rang to arrange a demo.

They started off with a projector more than three times the price of the one I was interested in depite saying I didn't want to see that model. Not a real problem as at least I could compare. When it came to the model I was after, they had it badly set up with the picture overlapping the screen. There was also quite a bit if light pollution. Even so, it was sufficient for swmbo to see some merit in my lastest 'waste of money'

The projector an Optoma HD25 also has 3d. This is not something which we would use often but it is fun on occasion. We asked for a 3d demo. They couldn't do this because they didn't have any 3d glasses for the Optoma. I pointed out that one comes with the projector which drew blank looks. They did not even sell them.

At the beginning my wife asked how big the projector screen they were using for demo. 100 inches we were told. After the demo I asked how much a 100 inch screen would cost. ' we only sell up to 73 inch screens' was the reply.

Why go to a store when the last time they were crap? There are very few places that stock and can demo a projector locally enough that I can access and that swmbo is willing to grace my presence.

If you think A/V shops are staffed by idiots, you need to avoid all high street computer shops - they're infinitely worse.

Small internet-based computer "eTailers" tend to be a better bet when it comes to knowing something about computers but don't tend to carry stock and do not offer product demo facilities. This does present a slight dilemma for the average impulse buyer, but - on the whole - offers a more pleasant and useful shopping experience.

After the crappy service received from high street outlets, I have no compunctions about (ab)using the high street outlet as a demo/see-and-touch-the-item facility and then buying on-line from someone who can advise of any issues/dependencies.

When the high street outlets wake up and realize that satisfying customer needs is what its all about, maybe I'll consider buying from them.

When the high street outlets wake up and realize that satisfying customer needs is what its all about, maybe I'll consider buying from them.

Because there are still plenty of people out there who don't understand a word these spotty morons are saying to them to have the sense to buy better and cheaper from elsewhere.

Was in pc world the other weekend doing the same, getting the feel for a wireless keyboard/mouse and some moron from sky asked me to transfer from Virgin BB to Sky BB, when I said why the hell would I when I've got 120MB from Virgin he said "that is impossible sky fibre is now the fastest on the market with 40MB, there is nothing faster than sky" muttered a few words like prick and dumb as I walked away.

The last time I went to buy a projector I couldn't bloody get one at all! I went to all the places you would expect to be able to get one from and nobody kept them in stock.
What is the point in a shop if you can't walk away with what you want and you have to wait for delivery? I can sit at home and order goods for delivery :(

Generally online sales are best for this as they have a no quibble money back guarantee. I've never demmed a single projector. Bought, tried, if ok kept, if not replaced with another until it was ok

Optoma hd25 here to... Wonderful thing

Weekend staff can be seriously detrimental to a store image and income.

Customers know it but does the store?

advertisement

Back