advertisement

thermostatic shower advice please - Mira or not?

mil46

pfm Member
any advice out there please... I have quite low pressure and I am looking at Mira because some research has led me to believe they perform well for low pressure systems. I am looking at the recessed Mira Excel at around £400. The reason for recessed is that my shower tray is only 800x800 and by the time you add the tiles etc then it only leaves around 750x750 showering space. Alternatively I was thinking about the Mira Honesty (what a name) bar type valve at around half the Excel price. Any views or experiences out there please? Again doing the googling would have you believe the Excel is one of the best performing shower valves out there for low pressure systems.
Thanks for any advice

I had a very good Aquilisa shower for many years. But I had high pressure, and had to have a cartridge that could cope with it. I think you can get different cartridges depending on your pressure.

We’ve just had a new shower/wet room installed. The well regarded installer said he doesn’t use Mira except for their electric showers. He’s a straight talking guy who hates issues with his work caused by manufacturers. So if it’s electric, go for it!

I’ve never had a problem with Mira thermostatic shower valves (gas boiler) and had another fitted 18 months ago to replace the piece of junk the bathroom company fitted that never worked properly for years. The advantage of a bar is that it’s easy to replace if it goes futt- you can do it yourself. I’m wary of what plumbers put behind walls- having had my living room ceiling down on me after a bathroom refit above.

I’ve never had a problem with Mira thermostatic shower valves (gas boiler) and had another fitted 18 months ago to replace the piece of junk the bathroom company fitted that never worked properly for years. The advantage of a bar is that it’s easy to replace if it goes futt- you can do it yourself. I’m wary of what plumbers put behind walls- having had my living room ceiling down on me after a bathroom refit above.
Interesting , the same thing happened to me 18months ago. However we had artex ceiling which contained asbestos. So everything was put in the skip (sofas , carpets, computers, 65” tv etc etc) however to be fair to my insurers they paid for everything including rebuilding my en-suite upstairs. Unfortunately 18 months on and I am having to replace the en-suite again as there is still staying in my lounge downstairs ( again the insurers have agreed that this is their responsibility). Hence why Im reluctant to have a recessed valve and wondered if the Mira bar valves were any good.

If you're using a combo boiler the pressure should be above 1 bar (which is not considered low pressure).

I have a gravity fed system, and use two thermostatic power showers. Triton in the main bathroom, first one fitted 2002, and replaced in 2019 (motor seized, and didn't want to risk re-plumbing for a different make). Aqualisa Quartz in the en suite, fitted 2003 and still going strong although ii is not used that often now. The Aqualisa is clearly a more upmarket product, but cost several times more than the Triton.

All fitted by me, (I'd like to say I'm reasonably competent DIYer, but after previously drilling through a cold water feed pipe, my wife would raise a eyebrow to this.)

I don't believe you can powers showers with a combo boiler (not that you implied you were planning to), so my experience may not be directly relevant.

My MIL has 2 Mira showers, and the only work I've needed to do on them is to do with the shower head bracket/soap holders.

If you're using a combo boiler the pressure should be above 1 bar (which is not considered low pressure).

I don't believe you can powers showers with a combo boiler (not that you implied you were planning to)

As you say, afaik a combi should have enough pressure.(also correct about combis and power showers).

I’ve done a test by timing how long it takes to fill a 2 litre jug from my taps. And I reckon I’m getting about 8.5 litres per minute. I don’t know how that relates to bar pressure but I’m led to believe anything under 10 litres per minute is low. I currently have an Aqualisa and I’ve never been happy with it. I’m told by a plumber it’s a decent shower but not ideal for low pressures. It is running off a rather large Worcester Bosch 40HE Combi boiler…

We got a cheap one and it’s been as good as the fancy ones but feels a little less substantial - given it’s a once a day thing I don’t care and ple@sed I saved the cash. Surface mountain t every time for me as c@nt be arsed with the risk of sunken units

Our shower mixer was from Aldi and was only £30 it's been in for years (10+) and still works fine.
Make sure you get a hose with a large bore other wise you won't get much water out of it.

Pete

I’m assuming a power shower is electric?
If you mean are they the same thing, then not quite (although they both need an electric feed).

Electric is a shower that heats the water. It just has a (mains pressure) cold water feed.
Power shower just has a pump, and requires a hot and cold water (low pressure) feed.

Both types can be thermostatic or manual.

But as you say, neither are what you are after.

I agree with the surface mount comments, burying pipes in walls is fine unless something goes wrong. The Aqualisa Quartz uses the raiser rail as the water feed (with the pump/control in the attic), so looks uncluttered, despite being surface mount.

If you mean are they the same thing, then not quite (although they both need an electric feed).

Electric is a shower that heats the water. It just has a (mains pressure) cold water feed.
Power shower just has a pump, and requires a hot and cold water (low pressure) feed.

Both types can be thermostatic or manual.

But as you say, neither are what you are after.

I agree with the surface mount comments, burying pipes in walls is fine unless something goes wrong. The Aqualisa Quartz uses the raiser rail as the water feed (with the pump/control in the attic), so looks uncluttered, despite being surface mount.
Yeah, I prefer surface mounted for all the reasons mentioned.. however it will limit the space in my shower enclosure..... Its been going round in my head. A recessed valve will have an aperture covered by a faceplate so you can access the valve for repair/replacement. I dont know about anyone else but I have meters and meters of water and central heating pipes under my floors which are old floorboard types with laminate/carpet over the top. Surely thats just as big a headache to get to if any problems?

Mira every time. Great products and back up service. Until retiring 5 years ago I spent 35 years working for several major plumbers merchants. Mira is highly specified in both domestic and commercial application. The non domestic range uses the brand name Rada, most hospitals and medical sites in the UK use Rada. The quality is well proven. Aqualisa is OK, as are Grohe, although I had a Grohe shower and after about 5 years Grohe couldn't supply spares...I was not impressed. I specified the Grohe at the time as it was one of the first wireless remote control showers, it was replaced with a Mira Vision.
Many Mira products ( not all) made in Cheltenham.

advertisement

Back