advertisement

Thermomix and other kitchen toys

Cheese

Bitter lover
Hi all,

My boss wants to get rid of his Thermomix (actually some cheaper brand sold by Lidl) because his new girlfriend doesn't see any use for it.

I could have it for free, but I fear I won't use it either. I like cooking (average level), but until now I could live without it.

To those here who use such devices, are there any things for which they are very practical/useful ?

My boss wants to get rid of his Thermomix (actually some cheaper brand sold by Lidl) because his new girlfriend doesn't see any use for it.
That's an odd statement. Does he not have a use for it either? If not, why does he have it in the first place?

To those here who use such devices, are there any things for which they are very practical/useful ?
Sorry, I haven't a clue what the thing is or does, and that's after looking at their website.

That's an odd statement. Does he not have a use for it either? If not, why does he have it in the first place?
He is a serial bargain hunter. I keep trying to explain him that chasing bargains is an expensive hobby, but I could just as well speak to a wall. Recently, after finding out that his brand new standing desk wasn't something for him, he gave it to me, delivered at home, so I won't complain.

My daughter swears by her Thermomix and also uses one at work. I did look into one a last year but it had restrictions on use and at well over a grand wasn’t worth the spend to me.

Seems a no brainer to try it for free.

Does your boss have any Ferraris, big screen TVs, or maybe a holiday home his new girlfriend doesn’t see any use for?

It’s automatic. You tell it what you’re cooking, it asks for the ingredients in turn (it’s also a scale) it blends them and then cooks them.

They are superb machines, but you either use it exclusively, and follow its recipes or don’t and cook things yourself.

Is that for people too lazy to transfer the contents from a regular blender to a pan?

actually for making sauces it is great. My chef friends use them alot. They do have fine temperature control. It isn't quite about laziness, they tell me it's about reproducibility and repeatability.

My wife gave me a Thermomix one Christmas on the deal that it gets used at least once a week.
I was channeling my best Heston Blumenthal at the time.

It is a bit more sophisticated than earlier posts suggest, in that it cooks ( or steams ) to a series of set temperatures and holds it there. It can weigh very accurately and "tare" so you can add ingredients one by one.
It has a timer, reverse stir and dough kneading options.
Plus the blades are super sharp and can pulverize just about anything inc wooden spoons that you might use to scrape down the side.

Fantastic for sauces like hollandaise/bechamel. Whipping cream and egg whites with the extra large blade.
Risotto and other slow cooking can be done as well - with a blades on reverse and slow stirring speed.

I make my own peanut butter to just the right amount of crunch level.

Cook a soup in the main jug and use the steam to cook vegetables above.
The list is endless - there is a huge Thermomix community - partic in Australia.

Happy cooking.

It’s automatic. You tell it what you’re cooking, it asks for the ingredients in turn (it’s also a scale) it blends them and then cooks them.

They are superb machines, but you either use it exclusively, and follow its recipes or don’t and cook things yourself.
Sounds a bit like Nespresso for food. Guess it's not aimed at people like me.

I will just say that lidl/ Aldi electrical knock offs have universally been disappointing in my experience and on this basis I would probably pass.

interesting, because this (and bearnaise) has a bad reputation as being rather difficult to make properly. Are you sure this works out well every time ?

Works every time for me - and though prolonged heat can make the sauce split - I find holding the temp at 80C on the Thermo means I can take time to cook the steak/poach the eggs etc. or whatever the eggy/butter liaison in destined for.
Bernaise
Ingredients
3/4 Tablespoon Tarragon,dried or fresh
1/2 shallot, trimmed, cut into pieces
½ tsp whole black peppercorns
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tbsp dry white wine
3 egg yolks
1 pinch salt
150 g unsalted butter, cut into cubes, softened

Method
Place tarragon, shallot and peppercorns into mixing bowl and chop 6 sec/speed 8. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula.
Insert butterfly whisk. Add white wine vinegar, dry white wine, egg yolks, salt and unsalted butter and heat 5min/80°C/speed 1. Sauce will thicken and emulsify during cooking. Remove butterfly whisk. Serve immediately.

advertisement

Back