advertisement

There were these amps for sale, and well, I bought them...

Radford color scheme is so elegant and utilitarian at the same time. Would love to hear any radford one day
I think their form is very pleasing on the eye :) I thought the STA15 looked good, but these MA15s just look "so cute and dinky", I quote my daughter there.

I have now removed the PCB from one amp for checking the resistors and discovered that there is plenty of green rot in the wiring, much more than I could originally see.

That's a dilemma then...
Do you make a matching pair, colour wise, or retain the different colours of the originals? Ummmm?

That's a dilemma then...
Do you make a matching pair, colour wise, or retain the different colours of the originals? Ummmm?
That's kinda interesting. I'd not noticed that they might be slightly different shades of loveliness, probably because I've not had them out of their boxes at the same time - they came in their original, factory boxes too!

I'm not going to re-paint them, part of their charm is just what they are, foibles and all :)

Nice, were they a steal?
They were reasonable priced, certainly not one of those "I found them in a skip one morning whilst I was out on my bike" moments. I'm happy with what I paid for them and really I couldn't find many sales on the internet to gauge a price.

However, the pleasure, frustration and happiness I'll get from servicing them out weighs the cost...never mind the fun from listening :)

Happy, happy, joy, joy.

It was the wiring colours I had in mind. In response to a ''complete rewire then?'' The chassis colours are often very slightly different shades and part of there charm as you say...

It was the wiring colours I had in mind. In response to a ''complete rewire then?'' The chassis colours are often very slightly different shades and part of there charm as you say...
Yeah, certainly some of the wiring is different colours, especially the heater wires to the pre-amp connector (I think it is those) and the valves.

Also, the mains input is slightly different with one with a choc-block and one without. I would like to get my hands on a replacement choc-block (there are holes for the nuts and bolts to secure them) and bring them both to the same visual look. Though, the more I look the more differences I see between them, one has rubber grommets for the through chassis holes and the other has a turned, metal lip.

I wonder what they sound like? :)

However, the pleasure, frustration and happiness I'll get from servicing them out weighs the cost...never mind the fun from listening :)

I know that feeling

Green rot on the impedance switch :(

Couple of wires on the rectifier base simply snapped off with the rot.

advertisement

Back