There goes that bass line..

Family "Burlesque";
Hawkwind "Master Of The Universe/Shouldn't Do That";
Genesis "Get 'em out by Friday";
Free "The Stealer";

Grace Jones. Private Life
Porcupine Tree. The start of something beautiful

Tal Wilkenfeld, Serendipity
Victor Wooten, Hip Bop (instrumental) : this one is fast !
No Doubt, Hella good
Alain Caron, Slick Shift
Brian Adams, Somebody
April Wine, I like to rock and also Say hello
Creed, One
Spacehog, In the meantime
Golden Hearing, Twilight zone
Big Wreck, Ghosts
Green Day, Longview
Goldfinger, Here in your bedroom

The vast majority jungle music scene from 1991-95 if you can stand it. (some of the mastering is woeful)
Talvin Singh - Traveller (as loud as you dare) remember playing/hearing this at an isolation platform manufacturers system in the midlands - sounded like the bass was fire radiating along the walls and ceiling. Sounds amazing on my system, but I've never managed too replicate that sound - made me feel very small.
Johnny Cash - Torn.
Drake - We'll be fine (album is 'Take Care':- recommended by Stereophile for testing bass a few years ago) Lyric's aside; entire album has ruthless basslines.
James Blake - Take a Fall for Me
SBTRKT - Something Goes Right (great album SBTRKT by SBTRTK - very musical)

Growing older, those bass lines I used to crave now create a feeling of discomfort, or malaise. I tend to listen to '57s more and more to avoid that. Very disturbing.

You?

Interesting mix of clever (highly skilled and creative) bass lines, and those which are just plain simple, yet catchy and memorable.

In catchy simple memorable dept:

Stranglers. No More Heroes.
And.
Princess of the Streets.

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells.

I know this thread isn't about bass players per se, but and despite so many great players, my favourite bassist continues to be Gary Thain. Mainly because on several early records by Uriah Heep his playing is so fluid, melodic, and yet rooted in driving the music. A real tragedy that he died so young.

John

advertisement

Back