advertisement

Theft of property by identity fraud

I don't understand if you are serious or joking. Are you?
Which bit? The first or second sentence? I have no problem with ID cards, tuga. I carried one for 12 years and survived the ordeal.

Update to the Luton house theft on R4 at this moment.
That looks to have been undertaken by a group of serial house thieves - they stole at least one other (Southampton?), and one of the group was arrested while in the provcess of selling a third (Cambridge???).

On further investifation, it seems that the best defense is the property alert service. Registering a restriction on the title can still be cirumvented by someone who has stolen your identity. One thing that might be worth doing is to download the summary of title for the property from the Land Registry at a cost of £3. A title plan is available for the same price. Check that the details held for the owner (name, address etc.) are correct - in my case my middle name was incorrect. Also, register for the Property Alert service with at least two email addresses to reduce the chance of missing an alert.

Update to the Luton house theft on R4 at this moment.
That looks to have been undertaken by a group of serial house thieves - they stole at least one other (Southampton?), and one of the group was arrested while in the provcess of selling a third (Cambridge???).

BBC Radio 4 "You and Yours".
Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001fw2r

Seems to be a highly organised long con. Mind you profits are good, especially if 20-odd houses can be sold, and relatively low-risk.

A simple question which has just occurred. When completion takes place, keys to the property are collected (from the agent, normally). Now, with rental properties, those keys could've been duplicated or whatever, but with owner occupied properties, if your dwelling is sold without your knowledge, how do the new owners get access, assuming this has been sold without agents, Rightmove or Zoopla etc (i.e. no representational particulars advertised anywhere)?

A simple question which has just occurred. When completion takes place, keys to the property are collected (from the agent, normally). Now, with rental properties, those keys could've been duplicated or whatever, but with owner occupied properties, if your dwelling is sold without your knowledge, how do the new owners get access, assuming this has been sold without agents, Rightmove or Zoopla etc (i.e. no representational particulars advertised anywhere)?
They go to a locksmith with proof of ownership, say the seller did not hand any keys in, and asks that the locksmith gains entry, and changes all the locks, I would guess.

advertisement

Back