advertisement

The worst CD ever..

prowla

pfm Member
I just bought Lovedrive, by the Scorpions , a CD I've been looking for for a while now, as I saw them on that tour in the 70's (actually one of the best concerts I've been to, Leicester City Hall, 79 or so...).
Rushed home, put it on to play, and it sounded awful!
My system sounded broken, and I had to put on another CD (Tim Finn - Here & After ), to make sure nothing was wrong.
Luckily, that sounded fine.
Seems like the digital re-mixer of that re-release completely boloxed it up...

I saw the Scorpions a couple of times in the early eighties and they were quite superb live. I have Lovedrive on an old 'Fame' vinyl and it sounds fine so I don't think there's anything fundamentaly wrong with the original recording.

I really like, Lovedrive, Animal Magnetism and Blackout. Good old Pop metal at its best :D

I purchased a copy of Rio Grande Mud (ZZ Top) on CD a while ago (I was parted from my LP12 at the time). I was horrified to find that the whole drum track had been re-recorded, and the sound 'trebled up', like CD needs it!

Worse CD ever in my book. I was very disappointed.

Hi
The re-mastered Aqualung is a horrid closed in sounding CD, get's my vote for the worst (at the moment).
Regards
Jim

Originally posted by chiily
I purchased a copy of Rio Grande Mud (ZZ Top) on CD a while ago (I was parted from my LP12 at the time). I was horrified to find that the whole drum track had been re-recorded, and the sound 'trebled up', like CD needs it!

Worse CD ever in my book. I was very disappointed.

I bought the "ZZ Top Sixpack" - the first six Top albums on three cds. I got six times the shock you did. Many songs, some classics among them, are just plain broken, no other way to put it.

Pretty sad they took the ZZ Top I once liked and tried to make it sound like the ZZ Top I never liked.

I bought The Darkness's "Permission To Land" having heard the singles on the car radio and on tv. Couldn't believe how dreadful the opening track sounds through my system. I couldn't bear to listen to the rest of the cd.

FR

ZZ Top
Me too, after being a big fan of early ZZ, and also I do like the 'pop' Eliminator ZZ , (although recently they have gone back to being a little more buesy) ..I digress, the remastered 6 pack, took away all the atmosphere and individuality of 6 albums recorded over ZZZ years and made them sound from the same vintage. All with digital nasties..

Yes it cleaned them up, but removed everything else.. Very dissapointing..Glad I have the LP's

We music lovers and (Hi-FI) reproduction enthusiasts are so at mercy of the people who screw up these CD's...Are they aware at all? Do the artists have final say over how they sound? cos if they do, they are deaf, and if they dont, they are pretty dull!

IMHO, obviously...Sorry didnt mean to turn it into a rant!
Cheers
Goose

Not just the worst album, i am reasonably certain that the worst music ever recorded is contained on a Breyton Paulse cd I bought in Johannesburg for 10 rand, about two years ago.

FYI, Breyton's day job is playing rugby for South Africa and Stormers.

Well, Titney Spears has a greatest hits album out at the moment, which I can't say that I've heard, but I imagine that it would be in the running.

And Jennifer Lopez - you'll know the one, Latina "singer" and "actress", who couldn't sing or act to save her life - has just brought out a new CD which has garnered woeful reviews. Oddly, I've never possessed a Big Jenny CD either.

G

I'm not sure whether this is about the worst CD - i.e. the delivery of a particular album or about what is the worst album.

If it's the latter then the answer is:

A Reggae Tribute to the Beatles

Trust me this is a no contest winner!

Anyone requiring proof can pm me for a sampler.

Best

Mark

Umm

Basically all Digital re-masters.

Why do they have to spoil so many good recordings? (prob monitoring on some cheap old Jap Crap)

Worst to date. Sex Pistols - Never Mind The B******s
Sounds flat (mono) and just plain boring.

The Original 77 LP version is a completely different kettle of fish IMO.

Best

Chaz

Originally posted by HostilePhantasm
Worst to date. Sex Pistols - Never Mind The B******s
Sounds flat (mono) and just plain boring.

The Original 77 LP version is a completely different kettle of fish IMO.

Really? I have (at a guess) a 1980-ish repress, and it's fairly dull and flat sounding due to all that compression, but times with piledriver precision... The CD issue I have isn't that bad, but not that good either...

The "Hunky Dory" remaster from 2001(?) on EMI sounds about as alive as a corpse - my 8track cartridge copy pees all over it. Even the ORIGINAL 1983 RCA CD issue is better - believe!

Basically ANY CD that's had "No noise" used on it to remove hiss sounds crap - removal of hiss seems to be the removal of life as well. If you can't hear past the hiss or crackles to the music, you're not listening properly IMHO!

Paul

Is that the one with the nearly bare breasted woman in a car on the cover and contains the superb track “Always Somewhere”

If it is, its probably nothing to do with the re-mixer. I have it on vinyl. It’s the most muffled sounding record I have heard.

When I was a lad, I used to record songs off the tele with a mono Binatone tape recorder and get better results.

advertisement

Back