advertisement

The very first Hi-Fi Show you attended.

London, possibly 1974, possibly Heathrow? IMF were demonstrating their speakers using cassette tape playing on a High-End Nakamichi deck.

I bought my ALS 40s on the strength of that demo.

I could not swear this was my first but I do remember going all the way to Harrogate, probably around 1983. This was a long distance trip from my parents home in Essex & I remember driving all the way up there in my Vauxhall Viva which I bought from my Sis. My Mother wasn't to pleased when I asked if it was okay to go. The general consensus on her mind I thought was no. Well, in such situation being real eager to go I decided to get up & leave early before my parents were out of bed & planned the journey from my A to Z. Being my first trip afar since passing my driving test it took an absolute age, much longer than it should have. I took many rest stops & finally arrived a few hrs before the end of the show. I was knackered lol.

I remember listening to a Philips CD player with some headphones, the new kid on the block back then. I was quite engrossed with the sound & almost fell asleep listening, I was sitting on the floor! :oops: :) I enjoyed though what I managed to hear in the time & found it a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

It took me just as many hrs to get home with many rest stops & sleep in the back of the car & nearly running out of fuel in the early hrs of the morning, luckily finding a unmanned fuel station that took cash at the pump. Inserting my last £5 I had in my pocket! - wow they must have been the days :)

First show for myself were the Heathrow shows at The Penta Hotel around 1990ish- tons and tons of gear, very exciting in those days.
:)

Harrogate, my stand out memory LP12/Quad amps/57's in the Quad room.
Apart from the Last drop in Bolton, I regularly did the Harrogate show (I was a student in Leeds at the time, so 80-82).

I remember meeting and chatting with Peter Walker, who was absolutely charming. My memory of the Quad ELS 57 speaker demos had a Walker t/t, not an LP12, but I do remember the 'live versus recorded' demo. The sound quality in that large room was superb. All very impressive to an impoverished student.

Apart from the Last drop in Bolton, I regularly did the Harrogate show (I was a student in Leeds at the time, so 80-82).

I remember meeting and chatting with Peter Walker, who was absolutely charming. My memory of the Quad ELS 57 speaker demos had a Walker t/t, not an LP12, but I do remember the 'live versus recorded' demo. The sound quality in that large room was superb. All very impressive to an impoverished student.
The year I went I was living in Harrogate so I think it would have been 79, definitely an LP12, don't know what the amps were. Being young I had no real experience of what would have been called higher end then, although I had seen an LP12 in hifi mags. I did manage to own a pair of Quad 57's, purchased a couple of years ago but swopped recently, loved them, but they were too large for the room.

The 1st show I went to was the Quadrophenia Show at The Hallam Tower Hotel in Sheffield. This was in 1977 (or 1978). I went with my older brother who was in the market for a system.

I was amazed by it all. The turntables, reel to reels, cassette decks, big amps and big speakers caught my eye. I remember brands like Pioneer, Technics, JVC, Sansui, Hitachi, etc being there.

I went every year until it stopped in 1983. Good old days!

The first hifi show I went to was in a hotel in Russell Square, London, in the very early 60s.
It was possibly run by Hifi News.
I remember very little about it to be honest.

My first show was around 1977 or 1978 in London...either the Heathrow Show or the one at Olympia.
Here I heard a demo that was a paradigm shift....
A Rega 3/Grace/Supex turntable feeding 32/NAXO/3xNAP250/active Briks .......compared against

The LP12/Lustre arm/VLM cartrige turntable, into 12/120 amps passively into some Mordant Short Pageant speakers.

The demo was run by one J. Vereker.

Guess which one sounded better?? A LOT better...

Mine was Harrogate, fabulous day out and atmosphere was fantastic. Remember listening in the Chartwell room. I asked what was the amplification and the reply was not sure, can’t put a Naim to it. Great days.

advertisement

Back