advertisement

The Tory Party's last Budget for a while..?

martin clark

pinko bodger
How I hope so, thinking Jeremy Hunt's last Pantomime (weds march 6, 2024) will be a grand act in smoke-and-mirrors, before the whole lot ejected with sulphurous whiff, stage left ...later this year. which cannot happen soon-enough.

And so - before the vitriol, and to forestall the handwringing - all praise to The Daily Mash for this wonderful synopsis, of how the UK press on various sides will perceive & report the good/the bad/the indifferent - while totally missing the bigger picture, obviously:

mash.jpg

Now - as Kermit said (Muppet show season 1 ep 19) - Let the Scariness, begin..!

Tomorrow is March 6th, Martin. There are two possibilities, I feel. One, that this'll be the last before going to the country, and, Two, that he'll do an autumn budget with a rabbit and a hat on the chance that the country's economic situation picks up over the summer. My bet goes on the second possibility. In fact, that bet is London to a brick on !

2p cut in NI predicted. Sadly pensioners will not be seeing any of this. With fiscal drag, freezing of personal allowance and thresholds many will be worse off when they need much more support for increase in utilities and food prices.

I want to see massive new measures for action on climate change - grants for insulation and solar panels, a new budget for offshore wind farms....

But this is all wind and hot air of course - would never happen from this bunch of idiots.

WE NEED to see massive new measures for action on climate change - grants for insulation and solar panels, a new budget for offshore wind farms....

But this is all wind and hot air of course - would never happen from this bunch of idiots.

(Apologies to les24preludes)

I want to see massive new measures for action on climate change - grants for insulation and solar panels, a new budget for offshore wind farms....

Only if the work is inspected properly and the installers trained; i've seen inside my walls and the previous scheme wasn't implemented effectively.

Also educational seeing builders insulate a floor.

The last Tory budget hopefully but not the last tory budget, I fear. I remember the Tories broadly welcoming the last Darling budget and Brown stuck to the parameters of the previous Tory Governments just as the country had voted, so overwhelmingly, for a change!.

Forty pieces of silver for all taxpayers....that should work? (yeah, I know it was 30, but there's inflation to account for)

I suspect we’ll be seeing another budget/autumn statement later this year. The Tories haven’t finished plundering the country yet. They know they are going to lose the next election so why would they stop stuffing their pockets now? They’ll cling onto power until they have no other option. They are a zero integrity zone.

So broadly as leaked. 2% off NI, they stole a couple of Labour's plans. Election in May before Starmer can regroup...

It will make little or no difference to the polls and sorry Gav, but the early election is wishful thinking. They will need to have their cold, dead fingers prised from power.

It’s criminal that they have frozen thresholds for so long. I definitely pay too much tax in comparative terms but will never vote Tory. Just a bunch of cowards.

Tax as a share of GDP to hit the highest level since 1948

The UK tax burden is heading towards its highest level since Clement Attlee was prime minister, when Britain was starting to pay down its war debts.

The Office for Budget Responsibility reports that tax as a share of GDP will fall slightly this year (due to the cut in national insurance in January).

But it then rises gradually in every year of its forecast, rising to 37.1% of GDP in 2028-29.

That, the OBS says, which would be the highest level since 1948, and four percentage points above the pre-pandemic level of 33.1% of GDP in 2019-20.

It will make little or no difference to the polls and sorry Gav, but the early election is wishful thinking. They will need to have their cold, dead fingers prised from power.
Maybe they'll hold on for another budget before an Autumn election. I don't think they'll hold out for the full term (early Dec) though.

Tax as a share of GDP to hit the highest level since 1948

The UK tax burden is heading towards its highest level since Clement Attlee was prime minister, when Britain was starting to pay down its war debts.

The Office for Budget Responsibility reports that tax as a share of GDP will fall slightly this year (due to the cut in national insurance in January).

But it then rises gradually in every year of its forecast, rising to 37.1% of GDP in 2028-29.

That, the OBS says, which would be the highest level since 1948, and four percentage points above the pre-pandemic level of 33.1% of GDP in 2019-20.

It’s surreal. He stopped four or five times to attack Labour as the high tax party. Saying it doesn’t make it true. Just scare tactics. I hope Starmer has the guts to respond intelligently. Treat us like grown ups.

advertisement

Back