advertisement

The Tory leadership race- that’s quite a bestiary there II.

Nero

Re: Tired
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Screen-Shot-2019-07-19-at-16-42-22.png

https://l-13.org/product/stot21stcplanb-borump-supreme-leader-portrait-poster/

Whatever he looks like, he seems to be the only senior Tory with a) anything remotely resembling a grip on reality and b) the determination to point out just how bad that reality is. The rest are desperately trying to adapt to the idea of having Boris as their leader, much like senior Republicans mostly gritted their teeth and got 'on side' with Trump.

Whatever he looks like, he seems to be the only senior Tory with a) anything remotely resembling a grip on reality and b) the determination to point out just how bad that reality is. The rest are desperately trying to adapt to the idea of having Boris as their leader, much like senior Republicans mostly gritted their teeth and got 'on side' with Trump.
The problem is that he wants to talk money and facts, whereas the others don't give 2 hoots as long as their man gets in power, and preferably that man is Boris. As Nicola Sturgeon said when asked what she thought of the 2 of them, it's the difference between being run over by a bus and a lorry as far as the outcome is concerned. :mad:

OK, so this Guardian article is another one that won't trouble the Tory electorate cabal, but it's worth quoting even so. https://www.theguardian.com/comment...w-on-boris-johnson-bad-actor-dishonest-script
“Boris” is a performance designed to advance the man’s ambition while concealing the uglier side of his nature. This is a man whose personal and professional back catalogue, exposed this week in the Guardian, is an archive of deception, cowardice, ethical tawdriness and casual bigotries draped in pseudo-intellectual waffle. The stage performer is a different Johnson from the one who agreed in 1990 to help a crooked friend plan an assault on a journalist. The friendly buffoon is different to the literary charlatan who wrote an essay in 2006 depicting Islam as obstructive to progress and freedom – a historically vacuous assertion that has been succeeded by the author’s more recent excursion into vicious anti-Muslim caricature, comparing veiled women to bank robbers and letterboxes.

The “Boris” persona boasts of imaginary achievements in office as London mayor but does not mention money that the actual Mr Johnson squandered on failed vanity projects.

My suspicion is that Boris Johnson is viewed as a temporary appointment by the grown-ups in the Tory party.

They will use his “charisma”and go for a early general election before he has the opportunity to be revealed as the arse he is. It’s the only way they get out of the Brexit clusterf**k and extend their hold on power. They will grab another 5 years then bin Boris when he cocks-up.

I have always been of the opinion expressed in your first bit but as for the last sentence I think to attribute that level of strategic vision to the atrophied conservative party is unrealistic. All they want is another 5 years in power, why? to do what? no-one knows.

I saw that kipper speech, very Trumpian rhetoric. People like it, it entertains, it positions him as different, a plain speaker. (truth is but a bystander)
People are not tired of experts they are tired of reality, of complexity, of having to see things from different perspectives of having to think. I sympathise and people like Trump, Farage and Boris are riding that wave. There is a great book in all of it, about a collective mid life crisis; a deep yearning for simpler times.
Probably why the brexit argument makes no headway, we are not talking about the real issues and probably can't.

Last edited:
My suspicion is that Boris Johnson is viewed as a temporary appointment by the grown-ups in the Tory party.

They will use his “charisma”and go for a early general election before he has the opportunity to be revealed as the arse he is. It’s the only way they get out of the Brexit clusterf**k and extend their hold on power. They will grab another 5 years then bin Boris when he cocks-up.
Johnson is an entitled clown who's every bit as nasty as Trump behind the posh, buffoonish facade, and in a GE against Corbyn at a time when so many people need real change he'll be ruthlessly exposed, and he'll lose.

Johnson is an entitled clown who's every bit as nasty as Trump behind the posh, buffoonish facade, and in a GE against Corbyn at a time when so many people need real change he'll be ruthlessly exposed, and he'll lose.
I wish I had your optimism.

One thing that your championing of Trump taught us is that being exposed doesn’t necessarily make any difference.

Yuk. We're in some sort of horrible Boris Day. Wall-to-wall Boris Johnson.

Wasn't there some other bloke involved? o_O

We have only minutes left where we can say we lived in a country that never had to face the reality of Prime Minister Johnson.

I reckon he'll get 65%.

advertisement

Back