advertisement

The Stone Roses - best debut ever?

"best ever" anything is a ridiculously subjective question. Perhaps more interesting is bands/artists whose debut remains their "best" record?

The Velvet Underground & Nico and Television’s Marquee Moon would certainly fall into the latter category imho. Possibly because they are two of the strongest debuts ever, also imho.

"best ever" anything is a ridiculously subjective question. Perhaps more interesting is bands/artists whose debut remains their "best" record?

Of course it is different genres, but it is fun selecting one's 'favourite 'thing.':)

Last edited:
The Stone Roses - well I like 'Fools Gold'.

UB40 - Signing Off
Alphaville - Forever Young
Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman
Massive Attack - Blue Lines
Pearl Jam - Ten
Jamiroquai - Emergency on Planet Earth
Weezer - Weezer [Blue Album]
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Roni Size & Reprazent - New Forms
AIR - Moon Safari
Manu Chao - Clandestino
Sugababes - One Touch
The Strokes - Is This It
Röyksopp - Melody A.M.
Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane
Keane - Hopes and Fears
Arcade Fire - Funeral
KT Tunstall - Eye to the Telescope
The Feeling - Twelve Stops and Home
Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
Friendly Fires - Friendly Fires
White Lies - To Lose My Life
Daniel Merriweather - Love & War
Speech Debelle - Speech Therapy
The Temper Trap - Conditions
The xx - xx
Phantogram - Eyelid Movies
Two Door Cinema Club - Tourist History
Darwin Deez - Darwin Deez
Sleigh Bells - Treats
Allo Darlin' - Allo Darlin'
The Drums - The Drums
Everything Everything - Man Alive
Ben Howard - Every Kingdom
Django Django - Django Django
Field Music - Plumb
Storm Corrosion - Storm Corrosion
alt-J - An Awesome Wave
Bastille - Bad Blood
Lorde - Pure Heroine
Lydia Ainsworth - Right From Real
Låpsley - Long Way Home

That stone roses album is one of my favorites but they're right up there with violent femmes for the most disappointing sophomore album.

The Stone Roses debut is also one of my favourites - a moment in time. Others (too many to mention) include:

Murmur - REM
Raintown - Deacon Blue
She Hangs Brightly - Mazzy Star
Reading, Writing & Arithmetic - The Sundays
Difficult Shapes & Passive Rhythms - China Crisis
August and Everything After - Counting Crows
Blowin' Your Mind! - Van Morrison
London 0 Hull 4 - The Housemartins
Rickie Lee Jones - Rickie Lee Jones
Strange Fire - Indigo Girls (First full album after 85 EP).
Parachutes - Coldplay

Ten great debut albums

Young Marble Giants - Colossal Youth (1981)
Suede - Suede (1993)
Roxy Music - Roxy Music (1972)
The Streets - Original Pirate Material (2001)
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left (1969)
Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies (1992)
My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything (1988)
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell (2004)
Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground & Nico (1967)
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (1979)

I have never understood the high esteem in which the Stone Roses debut is held, apart from anything else it has dreadful vocals that just don't work with jangly guitars and a flat production. I've always found the 'Turns to Stone' singles and b sides compilation a far more enjoyable collection.

Classic Debuts? The Stooges 1st, The Band's Music from the Big Pink, Country Joe's Electric Music for the Mind and Body, Buffalo Springfield's 1st and Yello's Solid Pleasure spring to mind.

I’ve got mixed feelings about this one. I kind of was there as a friend of my then girlfriend was going out with Brown and a mate’s band (DaVincis) supported them a good few times early on so I blagged in quite a few times. This would be just before the first album. I never rated them, thought they were up themselves and I just didn’t get it. Not a patch on the Happy Mondays who I saw a lot around the sane time (I had a similar blagging list thing) to my mind. I’d not discovered E at this point so was just viewing both bands as indie rock, and I kind of liked the really chaotic aspect of the Mondays. They were a mess, but never less than interesting. In hindsight I now somewhat begrudgingly admit that the first Stone Roses album is very good indeed. It probably is the classic many claim and has aged well, though still not something I pull out for a spin very often (I have the 2x45 edition). The album I would put forward as a real indie classic/arguably one of the best of the ‘80s is the Boo Radleys Giant Steps, and again I have some connection/story there as they were actually mates and even so I didn’t grasp what a monumental achievement that album was until a good few years later! That one really is good and gets played often.

Giant Steps is awesome, but The Boo Radley's C'mon Kids is properly mental. One of those rare records that's both great and an intentional act of commercial suicide. I love it, but it seldom gets a spin these days. I may pop it on the iPad.

I love the Stone Roses album but as above there are so many other greats. Love Blue Lines & Portishead’s Dummy. Also Strokes, Killers, White Stripes, Royal Blood & Eminem.

For me, the absolute no1 is Led Zep, probably followed by Dire Straits - it’s their only album I’ve played in about 20 years.

From a quick skim of the thread I can't see Patti Smith's Horses mentioned or Bjork's Debut. both are regular features in my ever revolving be in my top 10 records of all time. Horses usually in my top 3.It is still, 40+ years on, an electrifying listen: I'd put it up there with the Velvets debut for influence.

For me it is head and shoulders above most of the other records mentioned here. And it has a better cover. Also a classic best debut in that, great though she is, she never came close to releasing anything as good again.

Bjork’s Debut wasn’t her Debut! The rather wonderful Gling-Glo jazz album predates it (ignore the Amazon date, Gling Glo dates from the early ‘90s). It is my favourite album by her, I have an original Icelandic pressing (CD)!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back