advertisement

The state of electrostatic speakers in 2021?

interesting that Roger Sanders worked for ML and helped invent the curved panel. He now swears that a flat panel is superior. Cynically you might say he would say that now if ML have the patent? But his arguments are persuasive, see this old video: AudiogoN @ CES: Roger Sanders electrostatic loudspeakers designed contrary to most popular theories. - YouTube

I've owned both Martin Logans and Innersounds (Roger Sanders designed) a few years ago. The Innersounds really did have incredible transparency in the mid and high frequencies. (Better than Quad 57s, I think, although I didn't own those at the same time to test directly.) The MLs couldn't match that. But the dispersion of the Innersounds at higher frequencies is very narrow! You really do need to sit still in the sweet spot, otherwise you lose a lot of hf. With hindsight I rather regret selling the Innersounds, although I wasn't totally happy with the lower frequencies on them.

If I was going back to electrostatics I'd try the eraudio route now.

There's a nice guy called Sombetsky in Germany that refurbs ESL panels but also offers his own stats.

advertisement

Back