advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

Got some older Kayano model from a discounter website, seem OK. Only worn round the house so far.

Finished 3rd week of current cycle, next week is recovery. 39.9 miles, longest 15.1, which felt pretty good as I went out first thing before it got too hot, and had breakfast when I got back.

Just got back on my feet after a longer than expected recovery from a broken toe. Making slow progress but perhaps not as slow as Garmin suggests.
My time away coincided with the Garmin Connect outage/ransomeware incident. All my PB's etc have been wiped from my account. Did everyone else experience this?

Just got back on my feet after a longer than expected recovery from a broken toe. Making slow progress but perhaps not as slow as Garmin suggests.
My time away coincided with the Garmin Connect outage/ransomeware incident. All my PB's etc have been wiped from my account. Did everyone else experience this?

Glad you’re on the mend. Mine seem to be still there. Have you looked n the desktop site?

All my records survived both on Garmin Connect app and the main PC. Anyone notice the relatively new 'trim activity' feature in the phone app? It let's you chop off sections, say at the end of a run where you forgot to stop the clock.
7.2m this morning, breezy and squally showers but glad I got it done as the weather is even worse now!

My glute/hamstring nerve niggle from March did start to improve in July and I'm about 95% cured now. It has taken a long time but I'm just grateful to be running pain free now. Hope it's onwards and upwards for you too Andrew D.

New route today when my wife dropped me off 5k from home. Nice and rural and pretty flat. Aided by some new shoes (Brooks ghost 12's) which replaced my 15 year old runners when their soles fell off. Felt really good today, managed a nice even pace with a good wind up over the last km. Hopefully signs of a 'new' normal'.

The local running club arranged an impromptu tri on Sunday for members only. 10-15 folks showed up at the local pond at 6:30am and had a 1/2 mile swim, 12 mile bike, and about 3.5 mile run. Was great to do a "real" tri during this unreal year. Lots of talk about when real events might startup again next year. The consensus was that there was no consensus. Hoping the vaccine goes well and we can be racing again next year.

Managed a new 10k pb today, 54:54. I was quite pleased with myself but nobody at home was. There’s lots of elevation on my route, so hopefully on something flatter could do a bit better. Twenty minutes off in two years.

That's a great feeling.

I felt utterly rotten last week. Went for a run on Monday and couldn't get very far. Was very close to ticking off covid symptoms and getting a test. Wednesday was the worst but I woke up on Thursday feeling better and decided to go out and see what I could do. Got back home at 8.8k and feeling great so ran round the village to make up the extra 1200m and aced my 10k time. Nearly did it again on Saturday.

Still no news on the old hip op, but since it doesn't seem to be terribly uncomfortable over short distances I may start trying to get a 5k-8k run in once or maybe even twice a week whilst I wait for BUPA to get back to some sort of normality.... I'm far from match fit, but I've been reassured that I'll be unlikely to do any further damage so long as I'm sensible, so it's more a matter of judging the feedback.

I would take a 54:54 10K today if offered! That's a terrific improvement! I doubt I could break the hour right now....

Thanks John, I hope you’re in the mend. I’m sort of hoping to get a low 50s one maybe 53 on the flat courses near the coast by us or in Cheshire. My 10k loop has a brutal hill in it and two long km drags up. Unless I head for the canal there’s not much flat to be had around here!

Hope the hip gets done soon, I’m sure they’ll get back on it shortly. You’ll be back on it and showing us the way very soon I’m sure.

Reactions: JTC
On holiday in North Wales at the moment so had a good 8k loop round the cliffs to the west of Abersoch yesterday. Essentially walked up some of the climbs but pretty pleased with my efforts (for an old geezer). Slowly but noticeably getting stronger all the time.

Out this morning for a gentle 10k. Hot.
Have been over in Sweden recently and getting into trail running - beautiful forests and lakes and a lot of short up and downhills which hurt... but sure it's doing me good!
Think I will enter the Worthing 10k in early October, and looking forward to Parkrun starting up again in October (maybe!).

Good to see JTC back in the saddle, and Lordy - great PB!

Thanks Robs. I’m hoping that I can enter a half in early January. I’m going to start a training plan for that. I’d love to be somewhere around two hours for it...

parkrun being back would be bloody brilliant.

Sorely tempted by the Silverstone half in November. Just got to get past the 16/17k wall I currently have.
Not sure I'll be going to the first Parkrun round here - we normally get in excess of 600 runners and that's going to be hard to manage. I'm on the volunteer list though and might just be happy to point people in the right direction.

My finger is hovering over the enter button on The Titus Trot Half on the 2nd Jan. Grim races seem to be back and they’re doing well. Just not sure they’ll be able to go ahead. I’ve already got two deferred half marathons for next year.

Just started running again after about 20 years in July, due to it being the only real exercise available while i quarantine as part of my work abroad. Jeez, it has been a hard road back, as the old leg muscles fairly ache when they are not used to doing something. Never ran at all during August as i am a cyclist by trade so concentrated on getting quality work done there before travelling again, but started up again on Saturday. Hip flexors played up on my 1st light run, but a lot of hip flexor stretching that night and the previous day sorted that out thankfully. Yesterday, did some glute activation exercises before hand so i wouldn't fall into the same trap the previous day and stuck to intervals, 40s walk/20s Sprint. Worked out great, first time since starting back that there was no pain and was getting a great mid/fore foot strike, it felt effortless doing the efforts and the glute work did the trick as i have some nice light doms going on in my butt today. I did this over a 4km distance. also invested in proper running trainers and finally settled on Adidas Boston 9's which seem pretty good so far and nice and light.

I'm pleased to say I'm back at it which for me is 20 miles a week and back to my running weight. A few years ago I hyperextended my knee which needed surgery. Oddly the operated knee came back fast but the other was really painful. It felt like all the geometry was out. In the end I think I did exactly the right thing running every week for just two or three outings doing 2/3 miles each time. Always offroad but never over difficult ground and never trying to increase the miles, more out of the need to get into the hills than anything else. Two years later and It was completely fixed. So my advice is don't rush it, keep it regular, never run through pain and be patient.

What training do people find yields the best results - eg, reduced injury, better pace times, etc. For example, i find for cycling that polarised training works really well for me, so that means 3 x days of intervals, 2 x days of Long Slow and Steady and 2 x Recovery rides per week.
I was thinking of doing the same with running, maybe something like 2 x Days of intervals, 2 x days LSS and 3 days recovery split over the week. I find with cycling at least this keeps me out the "Grey' zone or say 'sub-race pace'

advertisement

Back