advertisement

The return of Fawlty Towers

And David Jason did nothing for me.

Nobody's mentioned 'Open All Hours' yet. Pleasantly comedic and entertaining but Ronnie Barker in conjunction with D.Jason made that. Its sequel, pleasant enough (with just D.J.), didn't come up to the original i.m.o.

I really did not watch much of only Fools and Horses. There are some very funny clips knocking around though. I thought 'Allo 'Allo was hilarious and very much in the English tradition of farce. The language bends were so funny.

Fawlty Towers was very very side splitting funny - at the time. It could not be made now - so will be interested to see what twist is put on it to make it work in the 21st C.

What amazes me is how many people like ‘Only Fools and Horses.’

Back in the 1980’s I thought it was absolute crap, and my view has never changed.

Also, my parents liked it - along with ‘Allo ‘Allo!’ and ‘Hi-de-Hi!’

dross.
6 & 1/2. As soon as it went beyond 30 minutes and the writers awarded the main characters the slightest shred of financial or romantic success, it instantly ceased to be funny.

Rich and Eddie NEVER pulled.

One of the best ever was AWP.
Yes, it was very cleverly written, my father was out in Stuttgart at about that time and both laughed and nearly cried at the accuracy of the situations the protagonists faced. The variety of the humour from around the UK was also well observed.
I find comedy at its best when it portrays a Janus like duality. Can’t say I’m a fan of Farce, too obvious but that’s just me i guess.

advertisement

Back