advertisement

The quality from LPs is ludicrous

I have just received my copy of the best of the Dylan mono recordings. Vinyl (in my system) has never sounded better than this ... the lack of clicks and pops is the only reason I don't think it is vinyl.

Nic P

I have just received my copy of the best of the Dylan mono recordings. Vinyl (in my system) has never sounded better than this ... the lack of clicks and pops is the only reason I don't think it is vinyl.

Nic P

That is a fabulous sounding box set but not quite as good as original mono vinyl (I own both).

Rob,

But that's the beauty of the P9 -- it works without any fretting and farting. Well, all that and it sounds great.

What did you replace it with?

Joe

He had a very old LP12* when I was there... when it comes to farting around, there is nothing finer!

*It had the hole in the plinth for the strut to hold the lid open!

Rob,

But that's the beauty of the P9 -- it works without any fretting and farting. Well, all that and it sounds great.

What did you replace it with?

Joe

Hi Joe,

Yes it is, and I'm not knocking it for one moment. Something that just needs a good cartridge, virtually no fiddling or maintenance and sounds that good straght from the box is some achievement.

But I missed the fiddling and tweaking, plus I wanted to use an arm capable of easy cartridge swaps, plus I absolutely love the look of the Gyro, so I went back to using one.

I had a nice SME3009 S2 on it initially which was very nice, but recently fitted my original Mission 774 which sounds bloody amazing. I've got two 774 wands so can swap easily too. It sounds really flat earth - fast, lean and with that 'smack you around the chops' effect with toms and snares :)

He had a very old LP12* when I was there... when it comes to farting around, there is nothing finer!

*It had the hole in the plinth for the strut to hold the lid open!

Hi Stephen,

I might put the SME on that and have a whole new farting around adventure.
Endless possibilities with that :)

Must meet up soon.

That is a fabulous sounding box set but not quite as good as original mono vinyl (I own both).

Given the master tapes will have degraded over the years, this is inevitable. However, it is seriously good ... and no surface noise.

Nic P

Given the master tapes will have degraded over the years, this is inevitable. However, it is seriously good ... and no surface noise.

Nic P

Nic, have you got the CD transfers and if so how does it compare to the vinyl reissue?

I like it because I can fiddle with it, tweak it, alter the sound relatively easily, admire the engineering of a good TT and because it feels like playing with proper hi-fi.
The power exists to easily exert influence over the result.
So if it appeals to an audiophile geek like me, I'm sure the same goes for the many other geeks and nerds who buy audiophile hi-fi kit.

Despite the efforts of some to complicate things, digital is just boring boring meh from a tweaky audiophile perspective. Place digital equipment on shelf, plug in and it all usually works well.
It demystifies things and that simply isn't playing the game!
Agreed: one way of describing the audio hobby, is enjoying the way kit can sound different if you swap it/tweak it etc. No tweak no hobby

Nic, have you got the CD transfers and if so how does it compare to the vinyl reissue?

I just have the CD best of from the mono reissues. I have original mono LPs, but they have serious issues with surface noise. I haven't tried the vinyl reissue, but given how good the CD is, I wouldn't splash the cash on the modern vinyl. Also, my turntable is good, but a fair way from the modern SOTA.

Nic P

There are so many variables when discussing LP especially when people throw in CD comparisons. Really well recorded vinyl (TT, arm, cart and phono stage all need to be decent quality) is very hard to beat in my experience. Dynamic contrast, sound stage, flow are all better than on the CD version of a recording.
I am always staggered how good vinyl sounds (after listening to CD) it does seem to defy logic. Arguably CD has better resolution but I don't hear any more detail (shimmers on cymbals, fingers on frets etc) on the CD than on the same LP nor does my mate next door.
However I do hear more ambience, instrument placement and get more enjoyment from the LP.
I had what is considered a good CD player (ARC CD5) but I always found myself playing records if I was going to sit down and listen for a while.
Some really well recorded CDs can about match vinyl, but rarely in my experience. Others have bettered vinyl, when the LP has been very poorly mastered. I buy CDs because they are the only way to get most modern music and they sound much better than they did.
That brings me back to the variables again - however good a system is - a poor recording will sound disappointing compared to a good one, vinyl or CD.

Rob,

But I missed the fiddling and tweaking, plus I wanted to use an arm capable of easy cartridge swaps, plus I absolutely love the look of the Gyro, so I went back to using one.
I love the look of the rotating cake stands, too. A spiffy deck to be sure.

It sounds really flat earth - fast, lean and with that 'smack you around the chops' effect with toms and snares :)
No bass, eh. ;-)

Joe

There are so many variables when discussing LP especially when people throw in CD comparisons. Really well recorded vinyl (TT, arm, cart and phono stage all need to be decent quality) is very hard to beat in my experience. Dynamic contrast, sound stage, flow are all better than on the CD version of a recording.

heres what I have a problem with. this technically can not be so. it is often why I feel led to inject my 2 cents.

Vinylistas are taking their preference for the "character" of vinyl and from that, extrapolating these "specs" that can not be possible.

dynamic contrast, "black background" , frequency extension, bandwidth..these are all measurable, verifiable. and each and every one of them is better in the digital realm. all of them.

if vinyl people would just say "i like the sound'

id have no problem with it.

I like the sound of vinyl because it sounds better than CD.

Joe

LP_magoo.JPG

What da ya say sonny

Teddy,

But it's never that simple. The quality of mastering is a big factor, plus there's the innate superiority of vinyl.

220px-Einstein_tongue.jpg

Joe

Teddy,

But it's never that simple. The quality of mastering is a big factor, plus there's the innate superiority of vinyl.

220px-Einstein_tongue.jpg

Joe

I have some damn awful cd's mastered specifically for the ipod generation and car hifi .
But badly mastered records sound worse.

Its madness , the market indicates that the disconcerning audiophile listens to vinyl so the better mastering is used with this media ???

Phil,

I'm pretty much format agnostic. I just enjoy watching Teddy doing an impression of those frothy coffeemaker things you see at Starbucks.

Joe

Unfortunately I ditched vinyl years ago as I never looked after them properly , to many drunken parties. I even have beer stained cd inserts. At least with playing from hard drive , I can't do that much damage :)

I have some damn awful cd's mastered specifically for the ipod generation and car hifi .
But badly mastered records sound worse.

Its madness , the market indicates that the disconcerning audiophile listens to vinyl so the better mastering is used with this media ???

the market doesnt give a shit about audiophiles. nor should they! they are a drop in the bucket.

Phil,

I'm pretty much format agnostic. I just enjoy watching Teddy doing an impression of those frothy coffeemaker things you see at Starbucks.

Joe

or maybe i enjoy watching you as you *think* you are frothing me up..

tell me, joe

have the lambs stopped crying yet

advertisement

Back