advertisement

The Premiership of Mary Elizabeth Truss.Sept 2022 - Oct 2022

Sorry if this has already been posted.

That video linking bp to that payment is made up tosh. James Hay left bp 20 years ago, then became a multimillionaire running the JMH Group which also owns several luxury goods brands. Not saying Tories don't have their snout in it, but lying about it isn't good form either.

Jonathan Portes on Twitter suggests that the sacking of Tom Scholar is an unprecedented departure from the idea that the Civil Service is regarded as politically impartial:

'Sacking a PermSec on day 1 - so not because of personal incompatibility or job performance but for ideological reasons - is unprecedented and contravenes basic principles of UK governance.'

Do we want a country where the expertise, experience and continuity of an impartial Civil Service is exchanged for politically-appointed placemen?

And then delivered a very flat, awkward and wooden speech. She will be an awful leader at a crucial time for the country. Hopeless.
Why is how she speaks crucial? What she does in terms of policy announcements at time of crisis will be crucial.

As will having an opposition capable of holding her policies to account. Unfortunately, as things stand, the opposition cannot lay a glove on her policy announcements, let alone deliver a knock out blow, because it is essentially fighting from the same corner

Why is how she speaks crucial?

The style of message and the delivery (tone of voice, pattern of speech, body posture, micro and not so micro facial expressions) are all critical to how well the content is received by an audience. In modern politics and diplomacy, it is often the case that actions do not speak louder than words.

The style of message and the delivery (tone of voice, pattern of speech, body posture, micro and not so micro facial expressions) are all critical to how well the content is received by an audience. In modern politics and diplomacy, it is often the case that actions do not speak louder than words.
Yes, I agree, but the fact is that we fell for the style and delivery of Thatcher’s message and failed to see that the content was built on lies. Those lies still hold sway. If we want to get out of this mess, we need to see how we got here and consider substance to rather than appearance

Yes, I agree, but the fact is that we fell for the style and delivery of Thatcher’s message and failed to see that the content was built on lies. Those lies still hold sway. If we want to get out of this mess, we need to see how we got here and consider substance to rather than appearance

As an ideal, I agree, but that's not how humans work. Sorry.

Another poor delivery from Truss. Bland and hollow. A Prime Minister really needs to do a lot better.

Starmer is doing much better and much more honest/believable.

I predict a Sterling crisis in the not too distant future. This time the Tories will own it 100%.

Either inflation gets out of hand, sterling tanks or interest rates rise to an unsustainable level. Or some combination of all three. The only consolation is that it's not just a UK problem.

Whatever happens, many people are going to find themselves worse off than they thought they were.

The Tories will still have enough folks left to blame: Putin, the Bank of England, the EU, immigrants, easier to do this than become unpopular through austerity 2.0

Another poor delivery from Truss. Bland and hollow. A Prime Minister really needs to do a lot better.

Starmer is doing much better and much more honest/believable.
Starmer’s eulogy was incredibly well judged and delivered. It sounded like a Prime Minister speaking.

Blackford and, we have to admit, Johnson also showing up how woeful Truss' speech was. Will be the worst and least heartfelt speech in the Commons today.

I imagine Truss is quite busy today, focused on the UK’s major challenges. It won’t be easy planning what to wear to the Queen’s funeral and memorial events, but I think the UK can rest easy knowing her chosen garments will be fab.

I think the main concern of Truss and her cronies will be what nasty news to bury during the HM Media blackout ...... and then what to wear to avoid looking like the complete twonk she usually manages to be....

Will be the worst and least heartfelt speech in the Commons today.

Having said that... Priti Patel has just started speaking. Dear God. Abysmal in every sense. And delivered more like some sort of substandard read-aloud software.

Blackford and, we have to admit, Johnson also showing up how woeful Truss' speech was. Will be the worst and least heartfelt speech in the Commons today.
Truss sounded like a sixth form pupil reading out an essay they’d written. A gravitas vacuum.

advertisement

Back