advertisement

The police want to ban nitrous oxide

A school friend of my eldest son died last year after using nitrous oxide at a party. Was in a coma for about a week, brain dead and they turned off the machine.

That is sad, man.
Of course all intoxicants, legal or illegal, carry risks: e.g. there are circa 8,300 alcohol related deaths per year in the U.K. according to the ONS.

It's depressing the cocaine, MDMA and booze market, its legal and guess what? The police want it made illegal.

It's just so obvious. If you make drugs illegal then people stop taking them and you have no drug (or drug related problems). So, so obvious.

That's helium. Helium is running out in its easy to extract form, so expect the price of helium balloons to increase soon.

I personally recall an incident in a rather grand hotel in Brighton involving helium and Bob Marley's favourite cigarettes that led to a foolhardy breaking of locks to get at more helium balloons...a week before the Tory a party Conference attended by Thatcher in the same hotel and after we had been interviewed by Special Branch when we checked in. The smoking material made me 'over concerned' that a broken lock would attract police attention since Margaret Hilda was checking in the following week. Nothing more came of it than a stern voice saying "who took the balloons?"
Speaking like Donald Duck while your stoned....

Is the growth in nitrous oxide misuse a laughing matter?

‘Laughing gas’ is legal and relatively low risk, so why are the dealers so circumspect, and local councillors determined to get it off the streets?
http://www.theguardian.com/society/...e-uks-laughing-gas-megastore-but-for-how-long
...He says the money that people like him are making from selling balloons is “ridiculous” and, perhaps surprisingly, he is fully registered for tax. He says that wholesalers often won’t bother with dealers who aren’t, sometimes reporting them to the tax office themselves, so they can keep the business above board...

That is sad, man.
Of course all intoxicants, legal or illegal, carry risks: e.g. there are circa 8,300 alcohol related deaths per year in the U.K. according to the ONS.

Echoes of 'Dog mauling deaths related to the horror of Gaza.'

The point here is that thicko kids think it is safe, when in some concentrations for some kids it represents pretty much instant death. Risks of alcohol, both long term and from accident/driving/fighting are far better known.

Mull

Just make your own.

Oxidise ammonium nitrate (common fertiliser) and collect the gas. Careful heating only though as ammonium nitrate is also a superb explosive, as demonstrated by the IRA a few times.

I recall a Chem lesson at my school.

The teacher.. (I won't name him) had a 'bench demonstration' set up. We sat in a casual arc. watching as he put a burner under a hard glass tube of ammonium nitrate. The N2O evolved was eventually condensed as a green liquid in a U tube sitting in freezing mixture.

What none of the assembled throng noticed was that the Ammonium Nitrate was assuming a 'gooey' consistency and being pushed up the heating tube by the gas evolved. When it reached the constriction at the top of the tube, there was nowhere for it to go and eventually the hard glass tube exploded.

The 'loud report' had us all initially shocked and then laughing loudly until we noticed one member of class sitting with his hands over his face and blood dripping from between his fingers.

Turned out to be relatively minor cuts and all was well.

The victim, IIRC was certain student who went on to play bass with Roxy Music. Not sure of necessary link. :)

Mull

How far back does the recreational use of Nitrous go? I was talking to my older brother about it and he recalled attending a balloon party while at Berkeley in around 1980. Shortly afterwards he & friends organised a similar event back in London and found it relatively easy as no one at that time suspected anyone would use it for recreational purposes.

Water drowns so many people every year, we need to ban that as well. Fence all rivers and streams, lakes, quarries, canals and ban deep baths. Showers only allowed next. It all makes sense.

How far back does the recreational use of Nitrous go? I was talking to my older brother about it and he recalled attending a balloon party while at Berkeley in around 1980. Shortly afterwards he & friends organised a similar event back in London and found it relatively easy as no one at that time suspected anyone would use it for recreational purposes.

Right back to Sir Humphry Davy The Pneumatic Institution (also referred to as Pneumatic Institute) was a medical research facility in Bristol, England, in 1799–1802?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumatic_Institution :D:D

I realise it has been used for a good while in medicine/dentistry but how long as a 'party' drug from balloons?

The point here is that thicko kids think it is safe, when in some concentrations for some kids it represents pretty much instant death. Risks of alcohol, both long term and from accident/driving/fighting are far better known.

Imo the point is that our societies' stance on intoxicants is contradictory, and that leads to unnecessary harm of mis/uninformed kids.

A friend of my son died earlier this year from nitrous oxide. All for a cheap kick? Alcohol is a great pleasure in moderation. I love good wine but have not been seriously drunk since 1980. This n o stuff can kill in one hit. Ban it.

advertisement

Back