advertisement

The Police: best sounding releases?

JTC

PFM Villager...
In an almost-embarrassed-to-admit-it sort of way, I've fallen once again for the music of The Police, rediscovering stuff I know like the back of my hand, but hadn't listened to for years.

Got me to thinking: are there specific 'best sounding releases' of their albums? Especially good vinyl releases? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Why embarrassed ? It's some of the best sounding stuff to play on a hifi I've always thought. Well, I mean particularly two for me: Synchronicity & Zenyatta. Yes the bass is arguably a bit too loud on the whole, but both still fantastic albums (esp Sync for me) & also -fantastic- recordings. Then Regatta is a very good recording, & album too. Thin 80's pressings of these = fab.

There's 'space' in Police recordings, which I appreciate more as I get older. Good producer, surely partly the reason. I find Ghost.. an awful album, & the earliest Outlandas D'amour.. a bit rough & ready. So I don't play these two.

Capt

Yep, this is good and occasionally gets heftily discounted on Amazon. I think I paid £15 for my set.

Quite - I think I paid £15 from my local supermarket - but even at £25 is a bargain, just for the rarities and b-sides disc.

A&M released some Police LPs on their Audiophile label - not sure if it was the whole set or not and I've never heard any of the Police LPs in that series. Agree with Tony though, the original LPs sound superb if you can find clean ones!

I already have an older Police box set - the Message in a Box set from the nineties - which is OK but I just wondered if there were good vinyl releases and/or whether recent remasters were any good (or, as is often the case, rob the dynamic range etc.)....

PS. Outlandos D'Amour is my favourite, I love its roughness and energy. SC is my favourite pop drummer of all time....

The recording/mastering quality gets better album by album, probably peaking on Ghost In The Machine, which sounds superb by any standard.

The mastering was top notch: my UK 'Synchronicity' is a Masterdisk cut, 'Ghosts' is a Sterling.

There is a boxset available that has all mofi recording of everything they released in one set, here is a link to one but you may find one a little cheaper, think i paid £150 for mine well worth the money though it is cut at half speed for more accuracy still plays at 33 though , i has all on other pressings and this boxset was worth the extra. hope this helps.
link below not my account just showing you what it is look else were you'll get it cheaper

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back