advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

be careful that the resulting (huge) .DNG files don't get further processed by any downstream app, like LR
Hmm good shout. I use LR as my photo library manager.

I’ve also downloaded the trial of PhotoLab7; not sure that it gives me anything over my existing setup of LR+PS. But I’ve got a couple of weeks to play around.

I have a small windfall coming in September, and plan to spend a piece of it on a camera. At present I'm shortlisting the Nikon Zf, probably with the 24-120 lens that everyone seems to like, and an FTZII adapter for my F lenses.

I could be persuaded to go with the upcoming Z6iii if it improves on the Zf in any significant way other than enhanced video capabilities (about which I couldn't care less). But then by September there may be a Z7iii too...

I'm also intrigued by the TechArt adapters that allow autofocus with non-AF lenses, but you have to stack adapters to put an F lens on a Z body - a Z-to-Sony AF adapter plus a Sony-to-F adapter ring, or Z-to-M adapter and M-to-F adapter ring. The Leica M adapter is significantly more expensive, but it opens up some appealing possibilities.

Well that’s it, the final piece of the Z kit has been purchased, Z 600 f6.3 vr s lens, just got to see how it compares to the 500 f5.6 vr pf lens, and then make the decision which one stays and which one goes. This will then be my settled on wildlife kit, along with my Z 100-400 VR S lens and Z9. Happy days.
Those PMC active twenty5 23i floorstanders will have to wait!!

Park Cameras Wildlife day yesterday. Loads of bargains for every make
Picked up Gitzo gimbal head at 20% off and a small lightweight Lowepro bag at 25% off.
Oh, also ordered a Canon RF 200-800. Long, long backorder waiting list though so I will rent one to compare with my RF100-500L with extenders.

Park Cameras Wildlife day yesterday. Loads of bargains for every make
Picked up Gitzo gimbal head at 20% off and a small lightweight Lowepro bag at 25% off.
Oh, also ordered a Canon RF 200-800. Long, long backorder waiting list though so I will rent one to compare with my RF100-500L with extenders.
That’s a nice head if it’s the GHFG1, I’ve had mine a few years now, use it on my systematic 3530LS.
I bet it was busy there, I went on Friday to get a Z 600f6.3, 10% off an already discounted price, bargain 👍

That’s a nice head if it’s the GHFG1, I’ve had mine a few years now, use it on my systematic 3530LS.
I bet it was busy there, I went on Friday to get a Z 600f6.3, 10% off an already discounted price, bargain 👍
Yes that’s the head, going to be used on a Gizmo Mountaineer series 3 carbon tripod.

It was exceptionally busy with some good talks too. Been using Park since long before that new shop was opened.

Yes that’s the head, going to be used on a Gizmo Mountaineer series 3 carbon tripod.

It was exceptionally busy with some good talks too. Been using Park since long before that new shop was opened.
Don’t know if you use a monopod at all, if you do I can recommend the Wimberley Monogimbal head MH-100. It’s just as good as the Gitzo but without the bulk for a monopod.

Bought a non-working OM-4 on ebay for $9 (plus shipping). It had the same jammed wind on problem as an earlier OM-2SP I had. Relatively easy fix after taking off the bottom cover. Meter and shutter now work fine. Do I keep it as a back up or flog it again on ebay? (Perhaps having an OM-1, OM-2SP and 2 OM-4's is a bit excessive...).

Having recently bought and then sold my very first love in 35mm cameras, the Olympus OM-1, I continued to think about those days in the 70s when my love for photography was both nascent and in some ways at its height.

After the OMs, my desires turned to the Canon AE-1, then the pinnacle (in my eyes) that was the A-1. It was released in 1978, and at 16 I was in love with it (and the subjects of some of the pictures in the pages of Amateur Photograper and Practical Photographer - but let’s sweep that under the carpet!).

EBay became the dangerous place of my absent-minded perusal last week. Then, of course, I found a 1 owner from new, mint example (A-1, not photographic magazine subject - we agreed to put them to one side if you recall). The result is that I now have it in my possession. I’m blown away by it - the OMs are beautiful, but this thing was so advanced for its time. I laughed out loud when I saw the shutter speed and aperture readouts in the viewfinder - perfect, but only seen 46 years ago depicted on a page.

Trying to resist buying film for it!

53667096584_d2732cddc2_c.jpg

Having recently bought and then sold my very first love in 35mm cameras, the Olympus OM-1, I continued to think about those days in the 70s when my love for photography was both nascent and in some ways at its height.

After the OMs, my desires turned to the Canon AE-1, then the pinnacle (in my eyes) that was the A-1. It was released in 1978, and at 16 I was in love with it (and the subjects of some of the pictures in the pages of Amateur Photograper and Practical Photographer - but let’s sweep that under the carpet!).

EBay became the dangerous place of my absent-minded perusal last week. Then, of course, I found a 1 owner from new, mint example (A-1, not photographic magazine subject - we agreed to put them to one side if you recall). The result is that I now have it in my possession. I’m blown away by it - the OMs are beautiful, but this thing was so advanced for its time. I laughed out loud when I saw the shutter speed and aperture readouts in the viewfinder - perfect, but only seen 46 years ago depicted on a page.

Happy memories. My first Canon. Loved it so much that I bought a second one snd used them for motorsport photography for many years.

Sadly, they were stolen whilst on holiday in 1983 or so.

A beautifully preserved example there, @Whaleblue 😀

My first SLR was a remaindered Canon AL-1 with rinky-dinky focus assistance, soon sold for an A-1 I bought from a friend. I liked the the A-1 for its legible LED display in dark conditions. It had shutter speeds down to 30 seconds & could meter accurately almost in pitch black. It let me make gig snaps on slide film. I used the exposure hold button frequently because manual exposure wasn't straightforward. I soon had two A-1s - one loaded with tungsten film for gigs & the other for daylight.

I wasn't impressed by the A-1s build. One developed the infamous shutter squeak; the other died suddenly. :(

@cctaylor I replaced the dead A-1 with an immaculate FTbn, got for cheap because the seller knew nothing about it. It was basically an F-1 without the F-1s system. I too loved the fully manual match-needle exposure control; also the partial metering pattern. Gorgeous camera that was built like the little brick house. One of Canons finest moments, I feel. I stayed with manual operation even after I got into DSLRs - although I use my two so infrequently now that I have to relearn them each time! Which dial does what, which way do the dials turn, which back button for focusing? 🤔 I miss the FTbs needle display & simple operation.

Marvellous post.

Resistance is useless. Buy film.

I wasn't impressed by the A-1s build. One developed the infamous shutter squeak; the other died suddenly. :(
That's a shame as their reputation is pretty good for reliability. Mine did get the shutter squeak but has just had a full service at Black & White cameras in Bristol (highly recommended) & it's now working as good as new, although it doesn't look it! Mine has been on numerous travels, & has led a hard life but never missed a beat:

38222627811_6ccc86c703_c.jpg

So congratulations to Whaleblue & let's hope we get to see some of the output. PS, if you can get a good copy of the f1.4 lens indulge yourself some more, it's just lovely!

I suppose my A-1s weren’t new when I bought them & they saw some hard use, banging around in my bag & being dropped occasionally. My gig one once suffered a deluge of beer - myself included - at a packed venue. It may have been the one that died; I don’t remember. They were certainly no F-1s, OG or New. I couldn’t afford them.

Speaking of the New F-1, recently there was one for sale locally with AE Finder & a couple of lenses. It was part of a deceased estate & the lot was advertised for a song. I left it for someone else as it wasn’t 30 years ago! I’ve seen an EF too, a sort of electro-mechanical predecessor to the A-1.

Last edited:
LOL - film camera nostalgia for the 70s and 80s. It can get out of hand... 3 years ago I had built up an almost entire collection of OM lenses (bar the 180 and 250 f2s), flashes, macro and 15 bodies including several examples of all the single digit OMs. I sold them all in the end and just have 2 digital bodies and 4 lenses (Leica M10-P, Q2) I was in Tokyo last week and looked but didn't buy anything... so cured for now...

Crazily enough I'm starting to wobble on my desire to have a Q3. My Q2 is still basically in near mint condition, and I've established that I love shooting with the Q2 and am very tempted to sell it whilst it hasn't lost too much value (I bought it used in mint condition so I shouldn't lose too much). I'm not convinced that the Q3 is going to be noticeably better but I am attracted to the idea of better high iso performance and the ability to charge it via USB C (which - to my surprise - I find one of the biggest benefits of moving from Fuji XT2 to XH2). An expensive jump nonetheless. Might wait until the Q3 Reporter or even the Q4 :)

Crazily enough I'm starting to wobble on my desire to have a Q3. My Q2 is still basically in near mint condition, and I've established that I love shooting with the Q2 and am very tempted to sell it whilst it hasn't lost too much value (I bought it used in mint condition so I shouldn't lose too much). I'm not convinced that the Q3 is going to be noticeably better but I am attracted to the idea of better high iso performance and the ability to charge it via USB C (which - to my surprise - I find one of the biggest benefits of moving from Fuji XT2 to XH2). An expensive jump nonetheless. Might wait until the Q3 Reporter or even the Q4 :)

If you already have a Q2, then moving to a Q3 is harder to justify.

Buying into the Q system first time it was easier for me to justify the Q3, the better ISO capability, increased dynamic range, faster AF, better EVF, tilt screen - all add up and IMO make the Q3 a better (though more expensive) package

As with all Leica products it is likely to annual price increases (and no doubt the special editions will have an even happier price tag!)

Perhaps @Mark LJ can comment as he has just moved to Q3 from Q2

advertisement

Back