advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

Do you have a ghillie suit too, Tony?

819px-Wildlife_Photographer_Giles_Laurent_in_a_ghillie_suit.jpg

I value my freedom and security clearance, so no. Not yet.

New to me D-FA 50mm f2.8 Macro, bought on a (cheap) whim for 35mm negative/Slide scanning once I have found the sofware solution.

Just a bit smaller than the D-FA* 50mm f1.4!

Pentax 50mm by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Working distance is a bit short, I've had the D-FA 100mm f2.8 Macro in the past which is better in that respect, although I quite like the look of the Sigma 180mm f3.5 APO Macro, or another Voigtlander 90mm f3.5 APO although the latter only goes to 1:3 rather than full 1:1 macro magnification.

Peach Flowers by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Good its not just me then, might look at alternatives as I don't want to unecessarily scratch the hood.

Leica Manchester have these in stock - might pop in and take a look (even 3rd party suppliers get in on the Leica Tax!)

I've got the JJC Handgrip https://www.amazon.co.uk/JJC-Release-Bracket-Holder-Digital/dp/B0CFLJ8R8C?tag=pinkfishmedia-21 - jury's out on it, although I appreciate the grip part, and the fact that the camera actually sits on the baseplate when placed on a flat surface, I feel it unbalances the camera slightly. Arca plate useful though.

Almost certainly will invest the RRS L bracket for the Q3 when it becomes available https://reallyrightstuff.com/leica-q3-custom-plate/ as this allows quick swapping between landscape and portrait modes.

I have a problem with thumb grips in that I use the exposure compensation dial a lot, and both the JJC and Leica Grips make access to the rotary dial just a little bit harder.

Ill be getting that new Q Cap later this month, see how it goes instead of the circular Leica version.

Have you tried the new 'Eternal' simulation available as a free DL from Leica fotos?
Must admit I am liking what it does at the moment.
will be trying it with people in the frame when we get some decent weather.
It certainly adds a fair it of contrast and a magenta lift - so it may prove a bit of a marmite thing.

Looking for that RRS handgrip, appears the only option for now is importing it directly from the US , when stock becomes available once again.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Ill be getting that new Q Cap later this month, see how it goes instead of the circular Leica version.

Have you tried the new 'Eternal' simulation available as a free DL from Leica fotos?
Must admit I am liking what it does at the moment.
will be trying it with people in the frame when we get some decent weather.
It certainly adds a fair it of contrast and a magenta lift - so it may prove a bit of a marmite thing.

Looking for that RRS handgrip, appears the only option for now is importing it directly from the US , when stock becomes available once again.

Q-Cap is ecllent, much better than I thought it would be.

Downloaded 'Eternal' but I'm not a big fan of sims, tend to process the Raw afterwards.

RRS Grip looks like a well-made option for an L-plate. I have one of their prioducts on the GFX, works well.

I think the main use for me with 'Eternal' would be for uploading to online media from JPEG direct from camera.
I'm with you on all 'best work' would be from Raw files.
Thanks for the comment on the Q-Cap, gives me confidence I'm not dropping a clanger there.

New purchase thing, though I've not pulled the trigger yet: DxO PureRAW 4. I've been using the beta for a bit, just waiting to arrange a full licence. For those who haven't used it, it may well be the very best of the RAW convertors out there. Definitely better than the other options I have on my machine (LR, On1, Affinity).

New purchase thing, though I've not pulled the trigger yet: DxO PureRAW 4. I've been using the beta for a bit, just waiting to arrange a full licence. For those who haven't used it, it may well be the very best of the RAW convertors out there. Definitely better than the other options I have on my machine (LR, On1, Affinity).

I only upgraded to ver 3 6 weeks ago (as ver 2 didn't work with the Q3) - annoyingly it looks like ver 4 has some useful features........ the spend continues!

Off on a city break in a couple of weeks' time so fancied something small, light and weather-resistant to go on the K-5. This 20-40 arrived this morning; haven't had much opportunity to have a play yet. All metal (as are all the Limited lenses), the zoom and focus throw have a wonderful feel to them. Along with the 77 Ltd this will make a tidy walk-around kit. The GRIII will also be going, of course. It's the law. :)

Twenty Forty Ltd by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Got a 2nd Nikon Z6 Body from MPB..... will keep the Tamron 70-300 on it as I find changing lenses while out and about a real faff. It will make my bag heavier but heaven knows I need the exercise.

Hmmmm, been trying this out. Not sure I like it.....it shows every d@mn one of my many wrinkles!

:D:D:D

Going to play around with it for a couple of weeks, but I reckon I know where this month's pension is heading!*

*as well as my other vice, the Lego Dungeons & Dragons 50th Anniversary set!

Hmmmm, been trying this out. Not sure I like it.....it shows every d@mn one of my many wrinkles!

:D:D:D

Going to play around with it for a couple of weeks, but I reckon I know where this month's pension is heading!*

*as well as my other vice, the Lego Dungeons & Dragons 50th Anniversary set!
Just be careful that the resulting (huge) .DNG files don't get further processed by any downstream app, like LR or On1. That caught me out. But it's a hell of a great raw processor for sure.

advertisement

Back