advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

Nice day at the annual Park Cameras Imaging Festival. Came home with a Canon RF 100L 2.8 macro lens. £300 off list and £200 cash back to follow! Another bag too, this time a Lowepro Trekker wheeled bag, 25% off.

Also told that my RF 200-800 order (from March) would be here by September! They can't build them fast enough.

I have zero knowledge about cameras and photography but looking for a bit of help.

I plan on visiting Norway and Japan next year and was wanting to get a camera so that I'm not taking photos on my iPhone.

Can anyone recommend a camera, probably 2nd hand, that would give me a good improvement on my iPhone pics.

Budget around £1000-£1200 for camera and lense.

I have zero knowledge about cameras and photography but looking for a bit of help.

I plan on visiting Norway and Japan next year and was wanting to get a camera so that I'm not taking photos on my iPhone.

Can anyone recommend a camera, probably 2nd hand, that would give me a good improvement on my iPhone pics.

Budget around £1000-£1200 for camera and lense.
I would just start a new thread rather than jumping on the back of this one. You’ll probably get much more help.

I bought a macro lens for my Fujis. Nothing fancy, the 7Artisans 60/2.8, bought mainly to enable me to 'scan' MF film, and - in time - archive my father's 60s Merchant Navy slides. A long-term project I've never got around to starting! The 7Artisans seems to be quite a nice lens, exactly how good it is (relative to much more expensive options) remains to be seen, but since it'll spend most of its time focusing on film at around f5.6 I suspect it will be Good Enough.

The bigger challenge is getting the rest of the scanning equipment setup - I'm using a multiclamp attached to a Meopta Opemus 6 enlarger (not an ideal arrangement) but the bigger difficulty is how to illuminate and hold the film flat - experimenting with iPad as a light source (in theory great but I can see the pixels so I need more distance and/or a 'cleaner' light source; and keeping the film flat might require some dedicated device....

Well, the macro lens has been returned. Nothing wrong, just couldn't get the cash back sorted. They are doing it different this year. Got 3 lots in 2023.

F6.3 to f9? I've never seen such a 'zoom'-y lens and neither have I ever seen one with such small apertures. I guess the two go hand-in-hand, unless you want to lug around 20kg of glass..... it sort of reminds me of the Fuji 150-600 in looks, and - thinking about it, if that's for a full frame camera it'll be an equivalent effective reach...

F6.3 to f9? I've never seen such a 'zoom'-y lens and neither have I ever seen one with such small apertures. I guess the two go hand-in-hand, unless you want to lug around 20kg of glass..... it sort of reminds me of the Fuji 150-600 in looks, and - thinking about it, if that's for a full frame camera it'll be an equivalent effective reach...
Would’ve been unusable in dSLR and 35mm days, but those days are behind us now. People can knock the apertures, but there’s no affordable option for most of us, let alone one that we’d be happy to carry.
As with my 100-500mm, the 200-800mm can be carried around all day.

Chatting with a guy at Lakenheath Fen today who was using an EF 200-400, the one with a built in 1.4x. It was attached to his R5 with battery pack, but boy oh boy, that’s a weighty set up. He had a lovely carbon monopod and carbon gimbal, so once on location it’s perfectly useable, but you’ve gotta get there in the first place!

But in the end, amazing image quality.

It can be used with full frame or crop camera. With the high ISO performance of the R3 it isn't an issue.

Would’ve been unusable in dSLR and 35mm days, but those days are behind us now. People can knock the apertures, but there’s no affordable option for most of us, let alone one that we’d be happy to carry.
As with my 100-500mm, the 200-800mm can be carried around all day.

Chatting with a guy at Lakenheath Fen today who was using an EF 200-400, the one with a built in 1.4x. It was attached to his R5 with battery pack, but boy oh boy, that’s a weighty set up. He had a lovely carbon monopod and carbon gimbal, so once on location it’s perfectly useable, but you’ve gotta get there in the first place!

But in the end, amazing image quality.
That 200-400 was my dream lens for years, until I picked one up😀

Excellent! Where did you get yours from?
Thanks! Park Cameras and at a discount price that was offered at the wildlife day a while back. Last week, a couple of guys I know at Canon told me not to expect it before August/ September.

No new camera kit this week as such, although I did buy a Kaiser lightbox for the nascent scanning setup, and have a pixl-latr film holder kit arriving in a couple of days. Most of my attention has however been focused on building a solar power system for the shed and updating the 12v power system in my van (pricy 280Ah LiFePO4 battery!), so I've barely looked at camera kit for a week or more.

Thanks! Park Cameras and at a discount price that was offered at the wildlife day a while back. Last week, a couple of guys I know at Canon told me not to expect it before August/ September.
Was going to wait but one appeared Wednesday night online, called Thursday at opening time, still in stock so got one. Arrived today!

I must admit, these are mighty tempting, want one - yes, need one - no - watch these space (but there are other things higher up the list at the moment - more itchs to scratch!
After selling my Leica Q2 last year it’s taken me months to find it’s replacement and this is it.

Loved the Leica by the way - just wanted a little more flexibility.

advertisement

Back