advertisement

The PFM Environment thread

I cant see this even being on their radar, such is the smoke screen they are currently running, trying to block out all the other issues they face...
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...on-renewable-energy-or-risk-being-left-behind

I'd totally support on land turbines now, close to the grid.

We're on the route from North Falls and Five Estuaries to the new grid extension.

It's a massive project and like all the utilities that carve up your nearest high street they are on course to do two different lines a few months apart, potentially on similar but not identical routes.

This will involve a 60 to 100m swathe of countryside each time being out of action for up to five years.

Sounds simple enough but they'll cross roads, drains, water mains and cripple our ability to produce food on a large area.

A fascinating insight into the difficulties involved with large projects in a highly populated country though.

I drove through the Port Talbot "50 mph limit due to air quality" zone and it felt like acid was sprayed in my eyes. It was very obvious that the steelworks was the cause

I drove through the Port Talbot "50 mph limit due to air quality" zone and it felt like acid was sprayed in my eyes. It was very obvious that the steelworks was the cause

I used to work in the comp there. 11am most mornings, I could look down on the town as the siren, warning that they were cleaning out the blast furnaces, would sound. It was like a Lowry painting...1000 women running to get their washing off the line and, a few minutes later, 10 minutes of huge soot columns, followed by black 'snow'.

IPCC climate crisis report delivers ‘final warning on 1.5C’
Comprehensive review of human knowledge on subject says: act now, or it will be too late

Monday’s final instalment, called the synthesis report, is almost certain to be the last such assessment while the world still has a chance of limiting global temperature rises to 1.5C above pre-industrial levels, the threshold beyond which our damage to the climate will rapidly become irreversible.

Kaisa Kosonen, a climate expert at Greenpeace International, said: “This report is definitely a final warning on 1.5C. If governments just stay on their current policies, the remaining carbon budget will be used up before the next IPCC report [due in 2030].”

The Guardian was told that in the final hours of deliberations at the Swiss resort of Interlaken over the weekend, the large Saudi Arabian delegation, of at least 10 representatives, pushed at several points for the weakening of messages on fossil fuels, and the insertion of references to carbon capture and storage, touted by some as a remedy for fossil fuel use but not yet proven to work at scale.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...e-crisis-report-delivers-final-warning-on-15c

Some not-very-joined-up thinking from some councillors. Or perhaps they're trying to use the UN report as an excuse to push through a pet project while deliberately ignoring the rather obvious downside of their plan.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ZryvVQEnWJwBbWoTIa293V_1G-mR_f2XEWF0wsxSdXeEw

Total madness - just who the hell do these people think they are?
Nothing at all like the project that is HS2 then.
So much damge done, and precisely zero gain, for many many years - if any whatsoever the way its going.

Lib Dems in action!
Tragically, they all seem to be as bad as each other. I seem to remember it was the Greens who were in control in Stroud when they wanted to cut down a bunch of mature trees to widen a road for a Tesco. Fortunately the protestors won that battle and the trees remain.

High concentrations of DDT found across vast swath of California seafloor
Barrels of the toxic chemical were dumped along the Pacific coast decades ago. New research shows the material never broke down

“We still see original DDT on the seafloor from 50, 60, 70 years ago, which tells us that it’s not breaking down the way that [we] once thought it should,” David Valentine, a UC Santa Barbara scientist, said. The LA Times reported that the contamination covered an area of seafloor larger than the city of San Francisco. “And what we’re seeing now is that there is DDT that has ended up all over the place, not just within this tight little circle on a map that we referred to as dumpsite two.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/mar/24/california-pacific-ocean-ddt-high-concentration

Poole harbour: major incident declared over leak from oilfield
About 200 barrels of reservoir fluid leak into the Dorset harbour, a site of special scientific interest

Poole Harbour Commissioners (PHC), the harbour regulator, said a leak occurred at a pipeline operated by gas company Perenco, under Ower Bay on Sunday.
The incident, which took place at Wytch Farm oilfield, resulted in approximately 200 barrels of “reservoir fluid” being released from the UK’s largest onshore field.
Perenco said a “small” amount of the fluid – consisting of 85% water and 15% oil – escaped from its pipeline and that, as of late Sunday night, some of it had already been recovered.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...or-incident-declared-over-leak-from-oil-field

advertisement

Back