advertisement

The Outstading Product Hi-Fi News

tuga

Legal Alien
Every once in a while I vitist the Hi-Fi News to check for measurements of newly tested speakers.

Couldn't help noticing that all but two speakers featuring in the first page have the Outstading Product stamp. I'm hilariously impressed...

hfnoutstanding.png

This is one of my pet hates, why have a 0-10 scoring system and only use 8, 9 and 10.

The usual excuse is that they only report on stuff they they think sounds good, other stuff gets left on the cutting room floor. Cynically, the magazines and websites have to make money and they do this through selling advertising, often by companies that they are reviewing and so there may some pressure (real or subconscious) to not alienate potential sources of income.

Finally, it could be that everything produced these days is very good and there are no turkeys out there so whatever you buy will sound at least good if not excellent.

There ar some sites out there that are not afraid use the full range of scores - Angrymetalguy is one such site, he/they occasionally give out 1.0/1.5 (including one this week), most often 2.0 to 4.0, occasionally 4.5 and only awards a 5.0 one every year or so.

You mean my DAC's gold award and this statement might not be true? "....only by a notch behind the DAVE while costing a tenth of its price....". I'm devastated. (Kidding of course).
I think it means is that more due diligence is needed. If you can only find glowing reviews from a particular reviewer, then scaling their enthusiasm and conclusions down is probably in order (much like I think Cambridge people do with their school exams, after they discover they made then too easy).

Or perhaps that was too simplistic of me.... Now thinking more about subjective sound/style preferences (and whether ours aligns with specific reviewer), undeclared sponsorships or backhanders, pushing angles that get the most 'likes', etc. Sometimes these are discoverable, other times it might be a coin toss.

I don't suppose hi-fi news flies off the shelves and the mantra of any reviewer would probably be "I review the stuff that is likely to keep me in a job". You can read between the lines to help shortlist, otherwise it's just entertainment.

I've never reviewed anything for HFN. My assumption is that they aim to review what they think will work well and then report on the good ones.

Also, a magazine runs a risk when making technical 'criticisms' in a published review. This can happen when they make comments about a failing or drawback... that is actually down to a mistake by the reviewer! I've seen many examples of this over the decades. e.g. in the old guides that used to put boatloads of reviews of the same type of item into an issue for 'comparisons' But also in pretty much every monthly at one time or another.

You can also read the gory details of a serious case of that kind on my webpages by a now long-gone reviewer.

Overall, makes more sense to go for what you can say performs well, and simply pass back to makers/designers anything else or decline to review for 'lack of space' or interest.

These days anyone with a clue and some test kit can measure and comment on most kit fairly easily. The main area of difficulty is loudspeakers where reviews that mean much to anyone other than the reviewer can be almost impossible. Choice of room, taste, etc.

I'd love there to be a Pitchfork for Hi-fi reviews, but unfortunately these publications need to be given the equipment in the first place.

It's usually easy enough to read between the lines however, especially when measurements are provided.

I don't suppose hi-fi news flies off the shelves and the mantra of any reviewer would probably be "I review the stuff that is likely to keep me in a job". You can read between the lines to help shortlist, otherwise it's just entertainment.
As a reviewer for Hi-Fi News, my mantra is “I review the stuff the editor asks me to”!

I’ve not yet felt the need to refuse anything and I genuinely cannot remember he last time I reviewed anything that was a real duffer.

Actually, I tell a lie - I reviewed a £18.99 Tesco CD/radio micro system for Hi-Fi World that had been voted Britain’s Best Stereo System.

It was pretty diabolical but given that it played a CD and picked up radio stations for less than the cost of most LPs I buy, it seemed heartless to be too unkind about it!

advertisement

Back