advertisement

The New Browser Wars

I still can’t imagine why anyone would want to use anything other than an iPad to browse the internet.

Because for any non-trivial computer task a mouse and keyboard is unbeatable as a user interface.

I love my iPad but strictly for YouTube, podcasts and choosing what to watch on my TV.

I’ve become pretty good at ”typing” on the iPad. Everything other than real server management stuff I do here is done on the iPad; all posts, my record listings etc. I only fire up the proper computer for accounts (as I’ve always got a month’s worth to do as I’m lazy as hell, and the Model M’s numeric keypad is such a time saver) and the aforementioned server admin as iPadOS is still crap at basic file-handling.

By saying I’m pretty good at “typing”, I mean for a 60-year old tapping with one finger on the screen. I’ll never be able to type like a 15 year old girl on a smartphone. I am amazed how fast some kids are at typing with their thumbs these days, it’s a real skill! I’ve never been fast at typing, but I can go about the speed I can think what I want to write, which is not fast, but it doesn’t irritate me at all.

My memory is 14.4, and early Windows 3.1 era. I’d tried text bulletin boards via a horrendous Amstrad 9.6 baud modem someone had given me plugged in my second hand IBM PS/2 30 8086 DOS machine (20mb HDD!)

We still use them, the clients are IBM ps/2 56 486 machines running DOS with Novell shell and the servers are Netfinity 5000 running DOS with Novell Netware SFT3 on a 10base2 network.

advertisement

Back