advertisement

The most musical Naim preamp is……..

With this thread as an influence I've started to dig out my mothballed Naim kit and check it's all still working. First up was the 32.5 with just the chrome bumper 140 (now that I've got one of the 5-pin blanking plugs) and that sounded good into the PMC DB1's.

174518227.Z41v6QBt.amps01.jpg

I've since tried the SNAPS (which I converted to dual rail main years ago) and the other (olive) 140 and they're also fine.

I think I'll wait until the weekend until I try and sort out the wiring puzzle which going active with the IXO entails!

I recently tried a 42.5/110 combination and it sounded fantastic. After a house move I decided that the practicalities of having three systems didn’t make sense so I sold on the Naim combination.

Hard to say unless you have done direct comparisons. I have owned a few Naim preamps, moved up and down the range and like to think my current one is. However, part of me still thinks the 42 was the most musical, but that could be due to rose-tinted ears and fond nostalgia.

Hard to say unless you have done direct comparisons. I have owned a few Naim preamps, moved up and down the range and like to think my current one is. However, part of me still thinks the 42 was the most musical, but that could be due to rose-tinted ears and fond nostalgia.
Or the the fact that early Naim, especially the Chrome Bumper stuff, was as good as it gets from this company and everything since, often costing a pretty packet, just isn't as good.

I had virtually all the olive range ending with 52/Scap. Eventually settled on 32.5 hicap and a misterc6 modded mono pair of 110s which was by far my most satisfying Naim combo. Audio Note now.

Or the the fact that early Naim, especially the Chrome Bumper stuff, was as good as it gets from this company and everything since, often costing a pretty packet, just isn't as good.
No, the new range is better, well to my ear at least. I think the NC range combines the best of chrome bumper with the best of the classic range. Whether you like this or not is another matter, personally, I do and wouldn't swap my current system for a 42/110/Kans. I do though still have the LP12 from those days, albeit only the plinth lid and top plate unchanged.

If I had to live with a single Naim pre and power amp it would be without a doubt a NAC12/NAP160. The synergy and musicality of those two is amazing.
And 50 years later the circle is complete as we are back where we started...

Yep - I loved mine. But it had to be on Mana. 😜
But oh what a box count, cable nightmare (remember Hydras anyone?) and dust magnet.
Started with CD3/NAC102/NAP180/NAT03 + Dynaudio Contour 1.8MKII but "graduated" to CDX/XPS, NAC52/Supercap, Nap135 x 2, NAT02 (still with the Dynaudio Contours). Everything (inc. speakers) on Mana.
Was it "accurate"? Who knows? Did it grab you by the <insert bodily part of your choosing> and say "let's get it on"? Oh yes! Happy days!
I still have a hydra in a box ... think CDS2 / XPS / 72 / Hi-Cap / NAT-01 / 135x2 ... all into IBLs ...

advertisement

Back