advertisement

The magic of minimalism BBC4

I really enjoyed that. I’m a big fan of this stuff and its great Charles Hazelwood got access to all the real innovators here.

Thanks for alerting me to this - just watched it. I was familiar with Terry Riley to the extent of having listened to In C and Rainbow in Curved Air, and I'd heard of Lamonte Young, though not familiar with his music, but perhaps that's not surprising since he doesn't seem to publish it. I'm a huge fan of Steve Reich and Philip Glass so I'm really looking forward to the next episode.

Would have been nice to have less dressing and hype, and more La Monte Young and Terry Riley interviews. Nice to see the It’s Gonna Rain footage, and how Music For The Gift came about (two personal favourites from the genre).

Got to be honest. I've never heard this before. I like it.

But I can't get the lead bass line from tubular bells out of my head

(I'm not incidentally-those days are long gone)

A good first episode and it was great to see Terry Riley - I love Rainbow in Curved Air.

Just what I thought. It was probably around 1973 when I first heard rainbow and I've loved it ever since. But this is the first time I've actually seen and heard the man behind the music. A lovely fellow. Love his ideas. And his philosophy

advertisement

Back