advertisement

The little changes...

Listened to AIFF file hires download of ledzep via my CDQ/laptop/Jriver-wow, sounded really open, transparent, musical and all instruments in space well defined. A Different presentation than Im used to, was impressed. Got my original vinyl record out to compare, Rega P25/Benz Silver, excellent but space and definition of instruments not so good. Ist time I'd played the record in 30 years so may have needed a clean :).
I've since done a lossless rip of an early ledzep CD playing back via the CDQ at 24/44.1 and it sounded very clean and dynamic. Could I hear the difference with my relatively old ears, yes, they sounded different. Which do I prefer, for convenience the cd rip as easier to deal with on my PC than AIFF files at present however expect AIFF musical choice and availability to improve- however the record is cleaned and ready for another listen. Led Zeppelin (1) is a great record, stood the test of time very well....

You listen more attentively?

My guess would be that human hearing might have evolved to best focus on one pitch (or sound in a mix) at a time and hear that sound in detail (was there a noise in that bush?...focus in on it....was it a predator?... the people that didn't do that well were eaten before they could reproduce) Also from a feedback point of view, we can only make one pitch at a time with our voices (Tuvan throat singing excepted!) Perhaps it's analogous to sight, where, though you are aware of everything within your vision, you are always focussed on one thing?

Of course there are exceptions and one can be trained, there are many stories of Mozart being able to internally "hear" multi-voiced harmonies with ease when writing music.

Certainly I have found when listening to different speaker cables, for example, that I will suddenly notice something in a mix that I didn't hear before. There is great "aha" moment when you notice it but then on changing back a slight dissapointment that you still hear it. It could be that the difference was enough to bring it to your attention, or it could simply be that the human ear is "roving" and you notice different things on subsequent listens.

I never had that scheme played on me but that is supposedly one of the oldest hifi tricks - the salesman wires up an expensive component and tells you "listen to that amazing detail on the hi-hat" and sure enough you WILL focus in on it and you will hear that extra detail...

Yes, but there are differences beween the vinyl sound, CD, CACD, DVD audio and streamed sounds. All sound good, but different. Sound apart the streamed is most convenient, vinyl most satisfying, CD getting overtaken as it doesn't have the satisfying experience of vinyl or the streaming convenience. I still listen to all, but for convenience going for the open presentation of straeming at present.

advertisement

Back