advertisement

The Karousel has landed

Definitely higher in the US then. The Hi-Fi Yearbook I referred to would have been complied in mid 1973 just after the LP12 launch. I do not have the 75 yearbook for comparison.

Shortly after the AR Legend was introduced they also manufactured a different unit called the AR EB101 which had a fixed mount and came with the AR badged arm as standard. My understanding is that different fitted arms cannot be used with the EB101 because of the fixed mount which is part of the sub chassis.

It would certainly be difficult. The arm is Linn geometry and mounting so putting a Linn arm on it should be easy enough, if pointless. A basik is probably similar to the arm supplied and the deck doesn't really justify a better arm.

The arm pokes through a hole in the plinth which is also a limitation although the is a plastic trim in the hole which could be removed to make the hole a little bigger.

Other than that the EB101 and Legend are pretty much the same inside. The legend has a real wood veneer and the EB101 is black vinyl wrap. It's just a cheaper version of the same deck.

According to that brochure the Legend and EB101 are not the same inside. The Legend still has the cast sub-chassis from the old AR decks where and the EB101 has two thin steel straps welded together. The motor is different too. I have an EB101 here now and I've had a Legend, should have got that right.

According to that brochure the Legend and EB101 are not the same inside. The Legend still has the cast sub-chassis from the old AR decks where and the EB101 has two thin steel straps welded together. The motor is different too. I have an EB101 here now and I've had a Legend, should have got that right.

The original 2-motor AR turntable had a folded-and-assembled subchassis too:

ar-23a.jpg

The history is well covered here. I have an XA universal with a higher serial number into the 273xxx range. Got 2 XAUs and an XB.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=460741

There was a thread at vinyl engine where one of the US experts implied there were 2 variants of the EB101 one with a different mounting so perhaps that had a different mounting plate. I have never had an EB101 in my hands to look closely at the mounting arrangement. I expect it is Linn 3 point mount. The plinth would prevent a Rega or SME mount without surgery. Never seen a EB101 mounting plate sold separately on ebay. Plenty of EB101s sold and it was a best buy in Hi-Fi Choice.

I am sure that I remember a "small ad" in the back of a hifi magazine advertising the LP12 as a motor unit only option back in the mid '70s...

In the 1977 year book, the AR XB1 was £56 without cartridge, £64 with cartridge & the LP12 was £90 chassis only, £115 with plinth and cover, £170 with plinth, cover & arm all prices not including VAT.

I have never had an EB101 in my hands to look closely at the mounting arrangement. I expect it is Linn 3 point mount. The plinth would prevent a Rega or SME mount without surgery.

It would be hard to do. The arm bolts straight onto the end of the 'T'-shaped sub-chassis. I don't see the point anyway. It is what it is, a decent budget deck and nothing more.

I agree. I think it's remarkable.

Indeed. The double kick on the drum on Force Hit, Hipgnosis is staggering in its clarity. Karousel was made for Tangerine!

Mark, Mike says the LP12 can’t be taken any further - only port of call a new cartridge in due course…

After having played a fair number of records it is clear that the Karousel has taken the LP12, and I would imagine any iteration, be it the entry level through to the fully Klimaxed or Tangerined iteration a step further ahead. I remain of the view that the pre Karousel Tangerined LP12 had much in common in terms of voicing with the Bardo (and having heard that at Mark’s I know what a fine deck that is). OK, this is from memory, but I would wager the fully Tangerined Karousel LP12 is a step ahead of the Bardo now. Blimey, the violin on the tail end of Ummadelic, Hipgnosis sounds so staggeringly life like and in the room… the bass line has that extra clarity as does the swirling synth.

Incidentally, earlier I tried out a track with some deep, and I mean deep synth tones and again there was that extra clarity, definition of subtle changes in those ultra deep notes. Remarkable.

Indeed. The double kick on the drum on Force Hit, Hipgnosis is staggering in its clarity. Karousel was made for Tangerine!

Mark, Mike says the LP12 can’t be taken any further - only port of call a new cartridge in due course…

After having played a fair number of records it is clear that the Karousel has taken the LP12, and I would imagine any iteration, be it the entry level through to the fully Klimaxed or Tangerined iteration a step further ahead. I remain of the view that the pre Karousel Tangerined LP12 had much in common in terms of voicing with the Bardo (and having heard that at Mark’s I know what a fine deck that is). OK, this is from memory, but I would wager the fully Tangerined Karousel LP12 is a step ahead of the Bardo now. Blimey, the violin on the tail end of Ummadelic, Hipgnosis sounds so staggeringly life like and in the room… the bass line has that extra clarity as does the swirling synth.

Incidentally, earlier I tried out a track with some deep, and I mean deep synth tones and again there was that extra clarity, definition of subtle changes in those ultra deep notes. Remarkable.

Micheal it will also subtely improve with run in; so there is more brilliance to come.
Once you have the Karousel no way would you want to go back to any other bearing.
It just sounds so right.You just can't fault it at all.

I'm rediscovering all my vinyl after the Karousel, there's a ton of majik in those vinyl discs that needs releasing!

Bob,
When Rick at Audio Alternative last serviced my LP12 he fitted a Tranquility levitation device (along with a Hana cart) that really improved the sound. This was pre-Karousel. Did Rick describe the plus and minuses of each? Worth upgrading? Are they an either/or upgrade?
Dan

Bob,
When Rick at Audio Alternative last serviced my LP12 he fitted a Tranquility levitation device (along with a Hana cart) that really improved the sound. This was pre-Karousel. Did Rick describe the plus and minuses of each? Worth upgrading? Are they an either/or upgrade?
Dan
AFAIK, the Tranquility is incompatible with Karousel, but you could sell it on easily

advertisement

Back