advertisement

The journey continues (the AN-Js are here🫣)

lsegeorge

pfm Member
My journey for the setup of a second bedroom system has taken a new direction since I decided to try a pair of Audio Note AN-Js.

And with the AN-Js having arrived yesterday I could not be more excited!!

TwINGmX.jpeg
xIWJ3ot.jpeg

eQbrbtv.jpeg

ZGfHtEm.jpeg

GLi45VJ.jpeg

I have already tried them with my Topping E50/ Quad 330/ Auralic combo and with the little Qinpu amp.

Both combinations sounding pretty smooth and natural but both lacking dynamics and a bit of sparkle at the top end to my ears.

Based on suggestions here at some point I will try an all AN setup.

At this time though and having spent on the AN-Js I am looking to start somewhere more humble.

An option I am considering is to try a 1980s Sansui integrated. I could buy locally a recapped
Sansui AU D7. A fellow pfm member seems to have been leaving happily with a Sansui/AN-J setup.

A Croft Phono would be another option that will not break the bank...if I can find one.

In the meantime I am also trying to sort my equipment rack

Frankly it’s a dac which seems a lot below the intended level of the system.

The Auralic/ Topping setup is borrowed from my main system.
I would say I do 75% vinyl and 25% streaming.
I was able to live happily with this Combination but I do appreciate that I still have a lot of headroom to improve that !

At this time though and having spent on the AN-Js I am looking to start somewhere more humble.

An option I am considering is to try a 1980s Sansui integrated. I could buy locally a recapped
Sansui AU D7. A fellow pfm member seems to have been leaving happily with a Sansui/AN-J setup.

The Sony VFET TA-5650 is great with AN-J (if you bypass the preamp) and can be had for less than £500

The Sony VFET TA-5650 is great with AN-J (if you bypass the preamp) and can be had for less than £500
I have already tried them with my Topping E50/ Quad 330/ Auralic combo and with the little Qinpu amp.

Both combinations sounding pretty smooth and natural but both lacking dynamics and a bit of sparkle at the top end to my ears.

A Croft Phono would be another option that will not break the bank...if I can find one.

In the meantime I am also trying to sort my equipment rack
I hsve been using AN js for 30 years, I think. They have sounded superb, to my ears, with Arcam 8s and 10s, Musicarch 30b, Graff, Chord CPM 2650, Sugden Masterclass. I found naim nap200 a little too bright.

I hsve been using AN js for 30 years, I think. They have sounded superb, to my ears, with Arcam 8s and 10s, Musicarch 30b, Graff, Chord CPM 2650, Sugden Masterclass. I found naim nap200 a little too bright.
Appreciate all the recommendations, especially since they are coming from own experience!

Your ANJ’s look lovely!
I’ve used many, many amp with my J’s. Currently using £120 Amptastic Mini. For the money, it’s ‘mind blowing’!
For what it’s worth, positioning can be critical re musical presentation with J’s. Imho, spending time doing this pays great dividends.

They look just like the drivers in my JPW P1's.
But wow! A nice journey😊 to go on.

Those cabinets are gorgeous.

lovely Sunday to all!

Beginning of the week, I had the chance to try the Sansui AU D7 with the AN-Js.
Had to return it for a refund pretty quickly as the left channel died after a couple of hours.
Lovely looking machine and quite dynamic and detailed but with issues so early...I decided to stay away.

Next chapter in my journey for an amp to get me started with the AN-Js (until I save for an AN amp) I am now considering 2 options.

Either a Sansui AU-α607L extra from Greece or a Croft Line Integrated from the Netherlands.

I guess the Croft is a more obvious match to the AN-Js but I find it difficult to resist the cool factor that comes with a classic Sansui.

The Sansui also covers more of my needs as I plan to be using the build in phono stage and to hook a second pair of speakers (in ceiling in the bathroom).

The 607 comes highly recommended from the Sansui guru on the Greek hifi forums and belongs to a collector who is really careful with his equipment. Its a late 1980s Japan only model, so I will have to use it with a step down.

Its this one here

Same as this one here!

As you've acknowledged; these will work very nicely with an AN amp.

I would advise that, whilst saving, you use an EL84 based valve amp. There are a number available, but Icon Audio used to offer a Stereo 20 which is EL84 based. I had one many years ago, when I had AN speakers. Sounded very good indeed. I eventually had a Meishu for quite some while; superb but much more expensive.

If you really want to go solid state, then how about a Sugden A21 or A21a?

Valves would be best though 😀

As you've acknowledged; these will work very nicely with an AN amp.

I would advise that, whilst saving, you use an EL84 based valve amp. There are a number available, but Icon Audio used to offer a Stereo 20 which is EL84 based. I had one many years ago, when I had AN speakers. Sounded very good indeed. I eventually had a Meishu for quite some while; superb but much more expensive.

If you really want to go solid state, then how about a Sugden A21 or A21a?

Valves would be best though 😀

Appreciate the feedback and suggestions!!

I am in it for the journey I guess.

I know that getting a starter amp only to transition to an AN amp eventually will be more expensive in the long run. But hopefully it will be more interesting and will keep me on an upgrade path!

So for this starter amp I am looking to be around 500eur. I am really keen to try a Sugden but it is quite close to used AN territory money wise.

My 2 options now are close to the 500 eur mark. The Sansui is selling for 450 eur and the Croft for 600 eur.

...and speaker stands also critical. J's are thin walled cabs designed to resonate everywhere so light but rigid open stands (no top plate) are important. Otherwise they can sound a bit overwarm and loose IMR.
Something Solid XF stands are 'made for them' literally :) Not cheap however.

advertisement

Back