advertisement

The Joni Journey

It seems the Joni Mitchell Archives are moving into new cash generating areas...
I willingly purchased all the early, previously unreleased,demo and concert stuff.. which I'm still working through. What I've played so far is all good...

But now it seems the first four Reprise Albums are all available (remastered) on vinyl. TBH..I'm wondering how many more versions of Blue I need... I have at least 4...2 of each on vinyl and CD. In all honesty, my original UK issued vinyl doesn't offend me. My original Blue.. purchased 1971 and played to death.. still sounds 'right'..if a bit spitty. now. ( A much more recent Reprise vinyl re-press is horrible..) My Clouds and Song to a Seagull are near mint. Played a bit.. but always with true reverence. Only my 'Ladies'..is an 80s German re-press.

So.. when Burning Shed are looking for £114 for:

The Reprise Albums (1968-1971) is another instalment in the Joni Mitchell Archives series, featuring remastered versions of Song To A Seagull (1968), Clouds (1969), Ladies Of The Canyon (1970) and Blue (1971).

In the case of Song To A Seagull, the original mix has been recently updated by Mitchell and mixer Matt Lee. “The original mix was atrocious,” says Mitchell. “It sounded like it was recorded under a jello bowl, so I fixed it!”

4 x 180g LP boxset.

Now far be it from me to disagree with the great Joni. but I can't say I've ever thought Song to A Seagull sounded bad... I'll dig oout my original vinyl soon and have a listen.. but.. views?

I try not to get sucked into the never ending search for the ideal pressing etc.

All of my Joni albums have been bought on CD, mostly for less than a tenner. Ignorance is bliss.

Meanwhile on another forum people are losing their sh*t over which is the best pressing of AJA & denying that pretty much all versions sound perfectly fine.

I've enjoyed reading through this thread. I too came to Joni via 'Blue', and she was the soundtrack to my life for years. Blue is almost too precious to listen to, I'm never quite sure what it'll do to me. I love those songs more than any other. I find I go through phases with some of her work, the moment has to be right. I've always been very fond of 'Hissing of Summer Lawns', not mentioned so much now. It has a mid-70s film vibe in the arrangements, and it's very much of its time, but then so am I, and I was there.

Someone mentioned how Hejira has no peaks or troughs, and some of the songs go on too long, but when the moment's right...

For some reason this thread must have lodged in my brain. Last night I dreamed I went to a record shop to buy a copy of Hejira, but all they had were deluxe 10-LP box sets at £230. Joni was in there herself, having finished a signing session. However, she didn’t think much of me - I asked if I could shake her hand, but she laughed and said no. Then (perceptive as ever) she informed me that I was the dullest person she had ever met.

You know, you are quite Bonkers!

Now far be it from me to disagree with the great Joni. but I can't say I've ever thought Song to A Seagull sounded bad... I'll dig oout my original vinyl soon and have a listen.. but.. views?
The first Joni Mitchell LP I bought was Song to a Seagull which I bought in 1970 ish. I liked to start at the beginning of an artist’s career in those days. It is an early UK copy that comes with a Canadian made gatefold sleeve for some reason. It was never the quietest pressing as the levels seem to be quite low to allow for the dynamics of Joni’s vocal range so you do get a bit of crackle. It has a certain ‘brittleness’ to the sound so I expect it could be improved on however the original tapes are getting close to be pensionable so am not sure what you might gain. For some reason I have never bothered comparing it with the CD I have in the Reprise Box Set; I must do that some time.

I try not to get sucked into the never ending search for the ideal pressing etc.

All of my Joni albums have been bought on CD, mostly for less than a tenner. Ignorance is bliss.

Meanwhile on another forum people are losing their sh*t over which is the best pressing of AJA & denying that pretty much all versions sound perfectly fine.
Tis true about AJA though my Japanese MCA is for sure a step up none of my other versions ever sounded bad.

I really struggle with Joni, Ladies of The Canyon is what I came to first and aside from Big Yellow Taxi, I really like it. Unfortunately everything else I've tried just doesn't do anything for me.

Ladies of the Canyon was a peak, in my opinion, her most original work that was still firmly in a folk idiom. Nothing else in her oeuvre quite like it.

Ladies of the Canyon is probably my least favourite so far. I managed to not like her for over 40 years so there is hope..

Now far be it from me to disagree with the great Joni. but I can't say I've ever thought Song to A Seagull sounded bad... I'll dig out my original vinyl soon and have a listen.. but.. views?

The first Joni Mitchell LP I bought was Song to a Seagull which I bought in 1970 ish. .....It was never the quietest pressing as the levels seem to be quite low to allow for the dynamics of Joni’s vocal range so you do get a bit of crackle.

So.. this afternoon I dug out my 'Song to a Seagull' (UK press A1/B2) and gave it a spin. Almost certainly the first time I've played it since my LP12 days... So, played on OrbeSE/Audiomods Series V, Dynavector 17D3, via EAR 834 P, LFD Zero MK V and Rogers Studio 3/AB3.

I almost immediately 'got' what I think Joni is saying. The mix is quite 'dark' and seemingly has the high 'treble' rolled off.. in such a way that whilst not 'dull' it does lack a bit of sparkle.. certainly when compared to close relatives such as Clouds and 'Ladies'. I might be pushing the theory a bit far here.. but 'Song' was produced by Crosby. Now the only other classic album I recall with a similar sound 'signature' on many songs.. is CSN's first, eponymous album... although production on that is credited to all three of them. Just a thought. Unless Joni is having a quiet swipe at Crosby for some reason.. Incidentally.. my 'Song' is an A1/B2 UK press..and I've always preferred side 2. Just sayin'...

I also made some comments about Hejira upthread... so I gave that a spin too. Very enjoyable too.. though for me.. albums such as Clouds, Ladies and Blue pull you in.. IMHO Hejira kind of lets you in a bit grudgingly. It takes more work..and more active listening.

I also gathered all of my Joni vinyl together..it having been spread around the racks... and looked at all of the Matrix Nos.. so that I can pretend to be a real Audiophile for a bit.. I never bought 'Roses' 'Summer Lawns'..or indeed anything after Hejira on vinyl until I made opportunist purchases of Chalk Mark and Night Ride much later.. though I have most of the 'missing' on CD.

I have:
Song to a Seagull. UK A1/B2
Clouds. UK A1/B1
Ladies of the Canyon. German (80s?) re-press. 'Alsdorf' A2/B3..but sounds excellent.
Court and Spark. A1/B1
Miles of Aisles. UK A1/B1-A1/B1
Hejira. UK. A2/B1
Chalk Mark in a Rainstorm. US press with cover clip. A-SR3/ B-SR1 I'm guessing 'SR' denotes 'stamper'?
Night Ride Home. German A1-B1

Overall.. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well my vinyl is preserved.

I also have the 'Archives' 'Early Joni' and 'Live at Canterbury House' on both CD and Vinyl. ..I'm getting quite worried about me.... :oops:

So.. I 'acquired' a Flac file of the remaster of Song For A Seagull and I'm listening to it now via my Innuos. I think it is a definite improvement on the original vinyl. More 'sparkle', more clarity and openness, more 'presence'. Very noticeable on guitar work especially. It's not a glaring change. Quite subtle but definitely worthwhile.
It was always a very hypnotic album to me and none of that is lost.. it's just better.

Well, after confessing my ignorance of Joni Mitchell & despite certain misgivings, I now consider myself ‘a fan’.

So far I have the following:

Blue
Court & Spark
Hejira
Hissing of Summer Lawns
Ladies of the Canyon

Ladies is probably my least favourite but I still like it despite no caring about a big yellow taxi. So, where next?
Woodface - I’ve only just spotted this thread. I have pretty much all of Joni’s output now. Her music grew on me slowly and I find it to be some of the most satisfying - at her best it is deep and multi-layered. She is one of a select few artists that started good and got better.

As said already you have the classic run of records at her peak but there is one further, in my view essential purchase - Both Sides Now from 2000. She went into a studio with a top flight orchestra and recorded a number of older standards. They tell a story and are beautifully phrased and sung. She then tops it with new renditions of ‘A Case of You’ and ‘Both Sides Now’ that are simply spellbinding. Her voice has dropped through age and lots of smoking but she re-interprets lyrics written when young with the wisdom and authority of a life fully lived.

Honestly, its a banger. And you can pick up a copy for less than £7 so no great risk! Travelogue came later and is a double CD and a little bloated/patchy for me, although it does a similar re-work of some tunes from Hejira, and worth a listen.

So for those who may have difficulty in‘acquiring’, how else is the remaster available? It’s an album I enjoy.

Available from Amazon CD or vinyl. Somewhat mixed reviews it has to be said.

Also from Burning Shed:
https://burningshed.com/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=Joni Mitchell&filter_sub_category=true

Also see my posts 101 above. Basically I'd purchased Archives Vol 1 on both CD and vinyl, because I could.. and because I didn't have any of it.

Vol. 2 is a different matter and especially the first four vinyl albums..as I have them all on good presses and in good condition. There is some confusion though. All four are described as ' Remastered', but only 'Song..' is a remix, because Joni said it sounded like it was recorded 'under a bowl of jello'. I was intrigued by this and listened my own original and concluded that she had a point.. though I'd not really noticed it before. At that time the albums weren't being offered singly, and I wasn't prepared to buy all four yet again.

I've now listened to a FLAC file of the remixed. 'Song..' and I like the remix. If I can get just that album on vinyl, I'll buy it.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I was watching some of her performance at the Isle of Wight 1970 last night and it made me realise what a great guitarist she was too. I just love her voice; I played Ladies of the canyon until it wore out back in the day. I well remember my Mum coming up to my room when I was playing it and taking the mick at how she pronounce schools as schoo-els to force the rhyme with jewels in 'for free.' Never could never understand the heavy smoking though; why would such a talented artist ruin such a lovely voice?

I really like “Travelogue”, her 2002 album of orchestral self-covers. It frees some of those 80s songs from the shackles of their original productions. Seems to be out of print currently though, so perhaps one to stream.

Been playing this a bit recently and have got to appreciate the orchestral backing. It’s nicely measured when so easily overdone. Agree Hejira is best song-writing I’ve heard.

Woodface - I’ve only just spotted this thread. I have pretty much all of Joni’s output now. Her music grew on me slowly and I find it to be some of the most satisfying - at her best it is deep and multi-layered. She is one of a select few artists that started good and got better.

As said already you have the classic run of records at her peak but there is one further, in my view essential purchase - Both Sides Now from 2000. She went into a studio with a top flight orchestra and recorded a number of older standards. They tell a story and are beautifully phrased and sung. She then tops it with new renditions of ‘A Case of You’ and ‘Both Sides Now’ that are simply spellbinding. Her voice has dropped through age and lots of smoking but she re-interprets lyrics written when young with the wisdom and authority of a life fully lived.

Honestly, its a banger. And you can pick up a copy for less than £7 so no great risk! Travelogue came later and is a double CD and a little bloated/patchy for me, although it does a similar re-work of some tunes from Hejira, and worth a listen.
Funnily enough I bought this the other day as I needed another CD for free delivery from Amazon. It really is rather good, much better than I expected. She comes up against some stern opposition on the renditions, certainly no Ella but far better than most.

I was listening to Blue the other night & it really is a work of art.

advertisement

Back