advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

To my understanding Project have no stake in this unless it could be proven legally that they profited from intellectual property funded in full by members of this site. FWIW I personally believe this to be the case, but it would take a lot of expensive lawyers and some luck to prove it. Even then one could easily argue that was done unknowingly, all blame for everything lies 100% with John Westlake. He took the money, spent it, and delivered absolutely nothing to those who paid. None of that is on Project.
No no, this is‘t what I mean. The idea was when John is selling a design next time, he could also negotiate some vouchers for the stakeholders here in addition to his fee. So the stakeholders can buy a product from an audio company.
Even if John asks for the last installment to finish building something for shipping, none of the steakholders will transfer him any money again, right? So it would be ideal if we can buy something with a discount from an official vendor.
(P.S.: I’m one of these stakeholders with a FDAC L3 with MMC + FDAC slave + 2 Detox = 1.300€
And if I would need a reference DAC today I would go for a HoloAudio - Spring 3, but with my digital Genelecs I don‘t need a DAC anymore.)

No no, this is‘t what I mean. The idea was when John is selling a design next time, he could also negotiate some vouchers for the stakeholders here in addition to his fee. So the stakeholders can buy a product from an audio company.
Even if John asks for the last installment to finish building something for shipping, none of the steakholders will transfer him any money again, right? So it would be ideal if we can buy something with a discount from an official vendor.
(P.S.: I’m one of these stakeholders with a FDAC L3 with MMC + FDAC slave + 2 Detox = 1.300€
And if I would need a reference DAC today I would go for a HoloAudio - Spring 3, but with my digital Genelecs I don‘t need a DAC anymore.)
I suspect that the combined pfm stakeholder investment would easily exceed any fee that JW is likely to receive for rehashing yet another Pro-Ject DAC.

More importantly, does anyone really believe that a person who took over 100,000 GBP and delivered nothing is likely to abstain from collecting any portion of any fee in exchange for making things right with those he took from over 10 year ago?

To my understanding Project have no stake in this unless it could be proven legally that they profited from intellectual property funded in full by members of this site. FWIW I personally believe this to be the case, but it would take a lot of expensive lawyers and some luck to prove it. Even then one could easily argue that was done unknowingly, all blame for everything lies 100% with John Westlake. He took the money, spent it, and delivered absolutely nothing to those who paid. None of that is on Project.
Does the Pro-Ject DAC have any features that are unique (i.e. not seen in other DACs)?

The Pro-Ject Stream Box models mention having a "Micro USB B (PC-Detox)" input. I don't recall 'Detox' being used otherwise, that is, outside of this and the original threads on the subject on here.

Lots of mentions of 'redesigned master audio clocks'. This from the recent Pre Box S2 Digital - Edition 23 (original model released in 2017):

"We have redesigned and improved the discrete audio master clocks – this lowers the phase noise and further enhances the already cutting-edge jitter performance."

Westlake is mentioned by name in many of the product descriptions.

The Stack Link 2...is over 1200 notes! I'm expecting the Detox to be less than a quarter of that.

Still.... I'm wondering if it works... Detoxing I mean.

Not really, marginal at best. I thought I heard a slight improvement with the Audial and can't hear anything with any other dac I have or had.

Well here we are-it's February
Update yesterday:

4. "MDAC" sized replacement DAC will be ready for shipment around February - supported cost to MDAC2 / FDAC Project development no more then GBP200 + shipping & Vat - this offers everything + more proposed for the original project (Discrete DAC, Discrete Class A output stage, Colour LCD's, USB2.0, USB Detox & Isolation (Option), Bluetooth Audio streamer (BT is a secondary function good for YouTube videos etc).
Case is 215mm Wide x 44mm High (1U rack) x 190mm Deep, the optional HQ PSU can be added beside to form a 1U 430mm Rack mount unit, a Rackmount kit will be supplied as an optional extra (with supporting rails + Rack Mounting ears).

This DAC has a HQ Headphone amplifier for Balanced and SE headphones.

The price of this DAC will be heavily supported by myself to meet the original target of "around GBP200" (even with the new casework and standard PSU + remote etc.) to development sponsors - the intention of this design is to meet the original MDAC2 project goals - and to finally close this long running saga
🙂
- the all sing & all dancing DacX will follow, which will still be offered "at cost" to those development sponsors who are still interested...

A tease photo of DAC front panel section with current UI (still in development) is attached, the Phone camera has overexposed the LCD backlight - the LCD's appear black in real life) + colour that does not show up will in this pic.

This will be followed by a matching upgrade PSU.

Already in prototype and UI in development.

advertisement

Back