advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

It never ceases to amaze me that after all this time there are people on here who somehow believe that they will at some point ( soon ) either get the product that they paid for , or their money back , or success in some class action court case . Really ?

Seriously... move on....... the technology surely has in the ten year lifespan of this con game.

success in some class action court case
I have experience in a different field and would imagine every chance of success but very little chance of getting your money back. I think a press campaign would be a better route.

There have been suggestions of launching litigation in the past, but these have never led to action. Why? Most likely because most of us don't have enough at stake to make the time and expense worthwhile. I know that's where I am. Had I paid for VFETs, however, I would have sued years ago.

The only thing that he seems to have done lately:

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital Edition 23

All are built around ESS's 9038Q2M chip, one per channel. Internally there is a gold-plated four-layer circuit board, housing newly designed separate power supplies for the analog and digital circuits, isolations and refined Class A circuits for the output stage. The headphone amplifier is more powerful than the previous model.

Are Project aware they are employing a fraudster? It might be worth those out of pocket applying some pressure on Twitter etc. It may not get your money back, but it may stop Westlake taking anyone else’s money.

PS Also keep the Wikipedia page up to date. John Westlake deserves no hiding place IMHO.

As long as Tony provides this thread, I'll be hanging around, The world is full of people waiting for a miracle.
I don't think the technology moving on is actually the case at all, it's just very poor management on every aspect of the project by John. I'm amazed at how badly this project was concieved and run byJohn, it just couldn't have gone more badly. Anybody sitting down at a desk for a few hours with a pencil and a piece of paper could have come up with a plan or worked out what was and wasn't possible. Too much was promised for too little and the funds were squandered from the outset...and perhaps the biggest error was over-estimating ones' own capabilities or even having a vaguely realistic grasp of what they actually were or were not.

I have experience in a different field and would imagine every chance of success

I believe that he lives in Hungary so that chance of success might not be so certain......... and be expensive to pursue .

Last edited:
I believe that he lives in Hungary so that chance of success might not be less certain......... and expensive to pursue .

I think he lives near Prague and moved there just after the fiasco started, whether that's because he knew legal action between the UK and Czech republic would be very difficult or for family reasons is something only he can say.

Absolutely (Czech Republic I believe) and even if you do win it presumes there is leverage, aren’t other creditors given priority and that he has any actual money/doesn’t declare bankruptcy. I would strongly advise against anyone treading this path.

Are Project aware they are employing a fraudster? It might be worth those out of pocket applying some pressure on Twitter etc. It may not get your money back, but it may stop Westlake taking anyone else’s money.

PS Also keep the Wikipedia page up to date. John Westlake deserves no hiding place IMHO.

Those involved could always pass comment when a product designed by the man crops up online. In this case a 21.33!

Those involved could always pass comment when a product designed by the man crops up online.

I can’t think of much else to do. I doubt people are going to get their money back at this stage, but it should be impossible for Westlake to function in the audio industry after misappropriating somewhere well over £100k from sponsors and delivering absolutely nothing for that investment. He is the Michelle Mone of audio and needs hounding for it IMHO. The time for any benefit of doubt is long over. The simple fact is Westlake took a vast amount of money from investors here over a lengthy timeframe whilst delivering product which seemed remarkably similar to these design briefs to Project. To my eyes that is fraud. Fraud that should ideally be tested legally, and if not possible should certainly be wider public knowledge. This thread represents the timeline and provides the evidence. It stands as John Westlake’s CV.

Again as owner of this website I utterly detest this thread. It is an albatross that only John Westlake can make go away by settling his debts. Until that point it remains and my advice to those out of pocket is to hound him across the audio industry and wider internet until he does the right thing. Link to this thread, update the Wikipedia page, comment on Project reviews of Westlake designs etc (Project are almost certainly blameless, but like pfm have been dragged into a scenario not of their making). Time to turn it up a notch.

It never ceases to amaze me that after all this time there are people on here who somehow believe that they will at some point ( soon ) either get the product that they paid for , or their money back , or success in some class action court case . Really ?

Seriously... move on....... the technology surely has in the ten year lifespan of this con game.

You've got to give it a go surely . I'm not letting this go without a fight . As I said I will give it till end of December. Then I will be taking action .

I was lucky when it came to the Vfets, I would have invested there too, we're it not that I needed 12 of them! It was only the huge cost and box count that kept me away.

I run active Isobariks.

I bought a new DAC last year, a Holo Spring 3 with preamp and it does what I hoped the XDac would do.
I enquired about joining the VFET list but, thankfully, decided against it.

JW has an established record as a DAC designer.
As a power amplifier designer, no.
With the benefit of hindsight, the VFET design was a distraction for both the sponsors and his own limited resources

Any particular reason at the time? ... Sounded an awesome amp in JW's write-ups.

As a power amplifier designer, no.

In all likelihood he would have just used the NP design from DIYaudio

Given the amount of lying the guy has done I'm sceptical he even had the quantity of Sony VFETs he claimed, they're like hens teeth now and I only know of a few people with collections amounting to more than 30

I have no doubt he had the vets at the time and also that he had a variant of quads current dumper in mind. Whether that still holds true in anyone's guess.

Perhaps sponsors should ask for their devices....

Then we might add another lie to the wiki

advertisement

Back