advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

This is useful, although I can't follow
-whether the detox option means a separate standalone detox or part of the devdac itself
-whether any psu is supplied with the unit- I get that it might be supplied by the source for usb but if using coax it will need a psu won't it?
-what the mosfet input stage is about (input to what?).
looks like a lot of options already.

This is useful, although I can't follow
-whether the detox option means a separate standalone detox or part of the devdac itself
-whether any psu is supplied with the unit- I get that it might be supplied by the source for usb but if using coax it will need a psu won't it?
-what the mosfet input stage is about (input to what?).
looks like a lot of options already.
Well the Detox option is internal I believe.
Ditto the MOSFET stage. It’s a bit like speccing a new car....

It's for HQPlayer nutters like myself.
If you use HQP why do you need a modulator in the dac? Don't you use the modulator in HQP and just have a 1024fs output stage? Or is it intended to replace HQP? Sorry not meaning to be thick I just can't follow what the option is.

If you use HQP why do you need a modulator in the dac? Don't you use the modulator in HQP and just have a 1024fs output stage? Or is it intended to replace HQP? Sorry not meaning to be thick I just can't follow what the option is.

In this case and do correct me if i'm wrong, he's talking about the actual discrete dac array being capable of modulating at 1024fs rates as opposed to the actual input modulator. So as mentioned if your one of those HQPlayer type nutters, this will ofcourse appeal but certainly not necessary. Running HQP at DSD 1024 rates is very resource intensive; some filter + modulator combos simply wont run on current gen PC hardware tbh.

iansr
jemhayward
Rune
Russel
jansen
dtd
Discovery
mattgbell
amershamman
Jimsmy
Timcat
moosemeat
paulski
Morph3R

GBP400 development sponsorship + GBP300 to GBP350 build cost + shipping, the DevDACII also has a few "At build" custom options:

Hi John, do these suggested prices include for VAT, and what is the projected approximate size of the case ?

iansr
jemhayward
Rune
Russel
jansen
dtd
Discovery
mattgbell
amershamman
Jimsmy
Timcat
moosemeat
paulski
Morph3R
Gints

In this case and do correct me if i'm wrong, he's talking about the actual discrete dac array being capable of modulating at 1024fs rates as opposed to the actual input modulator. So as mentioned if your one of those HQPlayer type nutters, this will ofcourse appeal but certainly not necessary. Running HQP at DSD 1024 rates is very resource intensive; some filter + modulator combos simply wont run on current gen PC hardware tbh.
The Quad modulators (2 per channel operating in differential mode) achieve an array operating speed of 1024fs.

Jareks believes we have the XMOS resources to support a native DSD at 1024, but its complicated by the MQA code that might restrict the Speed, worst case, we could offer a non MQA unit which supports external native DSD1024... (user flashable firmware so you can always swap as you like).

The MDAC2 array operates at 4096fs with its most advanced modulator board... its blinding fast...

Hi John, do these suggested prices include for VAT, and what is the projected approximate size of the case ?

The Price is the selling price + shipping.

The case will be around 35mm High (determined by the XLR connectors) and say 180mm x 180mm, we still need to design the chassis ONCE the PCB is nearer completion in its final form.

We will issue a devDAC PCB within the next 3 week, then the following version will be the release version (with chassis in mind).

The Quad modulators (2 per channel operating in differential mode) achieve an array operating speed of 1024fs.

Jareks believes we have the XMOS resources to support a native DSD at 1024, but its complicated by the MQA code that might restrict the Speed, worst case, we could offer a non MQA unit which supports external native DSD1024... (user flashable firmware so you can always swap as you like).

The MDAC2 array operates at 4096fs with its most advanced modulator board... its blinding fast...

Lack of MQA for DSD 1024 rates on USB XMOS is an easy choice to make ;-)

iansr
jemhayward
Rune
Russel
jansen
dtd
Discovery
mattgbell
amershamman
Jimsmy
Timcat
moosemeat
paulski
Morph3R
Gints
mbaudis

The Price is the selling price + shipping.

The case will be around 35mm High (determined by the XLR connectors) and say 180mm x 180mm, we still need to design the chassis ONCE the PCB is nearer completion in its final form.

We will issue a devDAC PCB within the next 3 week, then the following version will be the release version (with chassis in mind).
Guess that it is a hard learned lesson from this project that the case size should only be decided when it is cut in stone, written in blood what goes into it.:D

iansr
jemhayward
Rune
Russel
jansen
dtd
Discovery
mattgbell
amershamman
Jimsmy
Timcat
moosemeat
paulski
Morph3R
Gints
mbaudis
simonom

I think I’d prefer MQA :) ...those sample rates are just way beyond capable human hearing in my opinion ...more for spec sheet fun ;-)

advertisement

Back