advertisement

The Holo Cyan 2

leroyd

pfm Member
Hello.

Has anyone here had experience with the Holo Cyan 2 DAC?

The only complaints I've noticed is that the lights are too bright and the lack of manual input switching. I wonder if these things can or will be fixed with a firmware update? Seems like a very good value though. I'm looking forward to some comparisons with the new Laiv harmony DAC.

I've yet to hear the May in person but I was surprised by Ron's comment on Cyan 2 having a lifted top end. It wasn't clear whether he was listening to 44.1kHz content on Cyan 2 without* off-board oversampling but, being a NOS DAC, when fed NOS 44.1kHz content Cyan 2's frequency response starts rolling off from around 5kHz and is just over -3dB down in level by 20kHz so I'm not sure how anyone could perceive that as a lifted top end; I certainly didn't during my audition.

* if he was then I hope he also listened to the May without on-board or off-board oversampling when forming his impressions, otherwise it's an apples to oranges comparison.

In R2R terms, the real question is how this compares with the Gustard R26 and the Denafrips Pontus 12th.

I've heard it is comparable to a Holo Spring 2 Level 1-2 DAC.

Hello.

Has anyone here had experience with the Holo Cyan 2 DAC?

There's a long thread on Head-Fi with plenty of user reviews. Sold out/back order in Europe at the moment. Certainly one on my list.

So, if you don’t plan to upsample, is this dac a waste of time, or does it still sound good?
Depends on what kind of presentation you're looking for. TBH I thought I'd notice the HF roll-off in NOS mode a lot more than I did, but I think that's more of a reflection of my HF hearing not extending out as far as it did when I was in my early 20's. I enjoyed NOS mode, especially with simple, intimate, acoustic recordings as it focuses your attention more on the timbres of the instruments. It also helps to take the edge off overly-analytical recordings and transducers. For large-scale classical and densely-layered studio-crafted pop/rock/electronic recordings I appreciated the superior spaciousness and top end detail that oversampling provided.

advertisement

Back