advertisement

The great fried egg survey

How do you like your fried egg cooked for you

• Runny, soft yolk (sunny side up)

Votes: 47 40.2%
  • Over Easy (flipped with the yolf slightly cooked)

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • Over Medium (flipped, thoroughly cooked but soft yolk)

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • Over Hard (flipped, yolk is hard)

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Runny, soft yolk basted

Votes: 19 16.2%
  • Fried eggs are the spawn of the devil - I hate fried eggs

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters
Eggs are best poached in a red wine sauce, with lardons (diced bacon), onions and garlic, shallots perhaps - œufs en meurette.
Otherwise butter and sunny side up.

I like my fried eggs easy over but as I break them flipping them I just put a lid on my small frying pan so that all the white on top is cooked. Don't like solid yoke so I don't leave the lid on for too long.
Endless variations for for a simple task.:)

I'm not bothered about how eggs are fried, though when I was a nipper I wanted the yolk to be non-runny, fussy little bugger that I was.

I honestly can't remember the last time I fried an egg, or ate a fried egg, come to that. I always have a fried breakfast when staying in a hotel, so it was probably whenever that was.

Basted so the topside is solid and just cooked, but the yolk remains runny. Or (very) easy over*, but that risks breaking the yolk. A solid yolk in anything other than a hard-boiled egg is a travesty.

*ie, just for a moment, immediately before serving.

If fussing, then butter fried slowly and basted if needed to 'just' firm up the white. I had way too many greasy spoon breakfasts with fat 'crisped' fried eggs to ever want one again. Odd because in nearly every other food, I like a bit of burn, and go out of my way to make sure toast is smoking.

You put in a fry pan and turn on the heat. After a few mins you have Fried Butter!

Pour into a mug, let it cool for a bit and drink. Don't forget to call the paramedic.

I prefer eggs from battery hens; they just run and run.

Some people buy theirs from the coop in Hatch End; they cost chicken feed too !

Last edited:
Prefer poached eggs, but will eat fried eggs.

Rare drunk treat is a fried egg sandwich with ketchup. Has to be on white bread.

Wife thinks it is disgusting. It is a Common vs. Posh thing in our house. I am not the Posh one...

Rare drunk treat is a fried egg sandwich with ketchup. Has to be on white bread.

Wife thinks it is disgusting. It is a Common vs. Posh thing in our house. I am not the Posh one...

It'd be funnier if you were.

I had a running joke/war with my younger daughter where I would call the evening meal 'tea' and she'd instantly say 'you mean dinner'.

I do like a duck egg but my farts are pure gasoline after

T.M.I. Dhansak curries do similar to me - have to spend most of the following day outside.

Ketchup !? How disgusting. It must be HP sauce on a fried egg sandwich (or A1 sauce if you're in the US).

T.M.I. Dhansak curries do similar to me - have to spend most of the following day outside.

Ketchup !? How disgusting. It must be HP sauce on a fried egg sandwich (or A1 sauce if you're in the US).

HP Fruity is reserved for cooked breakfasts.

If I am feeling racey, then maybe HP Fruity on a bacon sandwich.

advertisement

Back