advertisement

The Grauniad reports Electricity North West plans to lower mains voltage

Reducing voltages will increase transmission losses.
They will do it after high voltage converted, on local substations, so it will not affect transmission. If UK rual areas get over 240v, about what loses we can speak.

UK standard has been 230v for a fair few years now, I get 247v at my sockets so without delving too deep into Ohm’s Law it just means my equipment is going to take whatever power it needs anyway, but my cables are under less stress with the higher supply voltage while supplying said current demand

They will do it after high voltage converted, on local substations, so it will not affect transmission. If UK rual areas get over 240v, about what loses we can speak.
There will be transmission losses everywhere on the network, no matter what the voltage.

I cannot see all the local substations getting modified, so I suspect that they intend to reduce at the 33kV and 11kV level
This has the sneaky effect of reducing the load from all of the resistive loads like heaters, kettles and ovens, so peak demand is reduced - cheaper than building another power station

I cannot see all the local substations getting modified, so I suspect that they intend to reduce at the 33kV and 11kV level
This has the sneaky effect of reducing the load from all of the resistive loads like heaters, kettles and ovens, so peak demand is reduced - cheaper than building another power station

I'm not so sure, if it just leads to us leaving these things on a little longer to achieve the same effect, as will happen automatically with kettles and ovens. You might say: hey, that's average demand, I wrote peak demand! But, as there are so many end users, whose usage overlaps, that I'm not sure it makes any difference.

Where I am, the grid has about 40% generation over capacity and I suspect this is intentionally linked to the excess mains voltage

Good Evening All,

FWIW I have noted that although the standard mains voltage by us is circa 243V when the solar PV is pushing out at circa 100% capacity the inverters are showing anything up to 257V.

We had one occasion several years ago on a very sunny and very windy April day when the local wind farm turbines were clearly cutting in and out and the relays on my inverters were doing overtime as the voltage hit 261V (G83 cut-off) and then dropped off, this went on for some hours until two of the three failed.

Not sure how the hi-fi would deal with that........

Regards

Richard

Last edited:
...FWIW I have noted that although the standard mains voltage by use is circa 243V when the solar PV is pushing out at circa 100% capacity the inverters are showing anything up to 257V.

We had one occasion several years ago on a very sunny and very windy April day when the local wind farm turbines were clearly cutting in and out and the relays on my inverters were doing overtime as the voltage hit 261V (G83 cut-off) and then dropped off, this went on for some hours until two of the three failed....
My situation too, but we don't have wind farms in Malaysia and not much PV, just too much new coal and gas generation capacity

In my case the big UPS was tripping out at 260V, in a locked room.
A good reason for not leaving your equipment switched on 24x7

advertisement

Back