advertisement

The future of classical music

Kit Taylor

Interesting post on the fine Marginal Revolution economics blog:

The obsolescence of classical music labels
-Tyler Cowen

Deutsche Gramophon pulled the plug on John Eliot Gardiner's plans to record the complete Bach cantatas. So how did he respond?

"At the end of 2001 we put together a CD compilation from the tapes and sent it to lots of people who had helped with the project. We raised £40,000 from people who had come to concerts.

"Most of it was in £100-£200 chunks from people who had been in the audience, plus a couple of large chunks. Then we received £130,000 from a donor."

The Prince of Wales is the project's patron; donors include American arts philanthropist Alberto Vilar, charitable foundations and corporate sponsors...

The cheaper model of recording live from concerts (as does the LSO's label, LSO Live), rather than from expensive and lengthy studio sessions, also points the way forward.

The performers are paid on the basis of royalties, a far cry from the fat contracts handed out by record companies in the heyday of the industry.

Ms de Sabata estimates that in order to recoup costs and allow them to continue putting out the CDs from the cantata project they need to sell 4,000 to 5,000 copies each.

"Our orders and preorders suggest we are going to make it," she said.

Gardiner has now launched his own label and plans further recordings; here is the full story. But you can see the future: more live recordings, more not-for-profit recordings, and a smaller role for music companies as the relevant intermediaries.

Yes, and that's probably a good thing. Live recordings have that extra something, and from a commercial point of view, it's clear that the industry can't go on as it is at present.

Whatever happens commercially, it will of couse HAVE to be for profit; so be it. The LSO Live label is a fantastic idea, and the discs, all wonderfully produced and featuring top conductors, are an example to the industry. Like the Halle's label and some others one could mention.

I would just say that I think these encyclopedic recording projects, like Gardiner's complete Cantatas, are probably doomed commercially; who the hell is going to buy all those discs? Far better to sort the wheat from the chaff, and release the live recordings of the best performances of the best works. (I might mention Hyperion's complete Liszt cycle: all too much of it isn't worth releasing. Having said that, I'm grateful for their complete Schubert Lieder edition, not least because of Graham Johnson's notes!)

Anyway, thanks Kit for that interesting post. I wish there was more discussion of music matters in some of these forums.

Best wishes,

Git

Similarly I suspect it could actually be a good thing. For classical sound quality nothing beats a live BBC broadcast IMHO, so if people could get recordings of a similar quality out independently I suspect the genre will thrive. Independant releases will probably be more limited in quantity and duration in the shops which may have the effect of getting more immediate interest through the punters fear of missing out. This should be a good thing for the artists involved and would also later give the classical second hand collectors market a boost which is good for everyone (including me!). We just need to pursuade the new labels to do a Ltd Ed vinyl edition too ;)

Tony.

PS I’ll move this thread to the music room as I suspect it will get more responses there.

Interesting ... there is a very active community of people who share good to high quality recordings of live concerts (not just classical) here.

Similarly I suspect it could actually be a good thing. For classical sound quality nothing beats a live BBC broadcast IMHO

The best I've heard was a recorded live broadcast made by the Swiss radio. The first and ONLY time that the applause has sounded like appluse, not rain on a tin roof.

Swedish radios live broadcast's are also very good. My conclusion is that, by some to me unknown reason, radio broadcasts, where ever they might be done, are better sounding than most.

This also applies to rock/pop music. One of the best ever sounding recordings I have is Rolling Stones from a test broadcasting in stereo made by the Beeb in 1964 at Camden Theatre!

JohanR

Originally posted by miserablegit
I would just say that I think these encyclopedic recording projects, like Gardiner's complete Cantatas, are probably doomed commercially; who the hell is going to buy all those discs?

If they're good, me, as a compulsive cantater. I have the first ones on order, and if they're good I'll end up with my third complete cantata cycle. This is marvellous music.

Classical music struggles due to the fact the major shops/labels no longer appear to take it seriously.

When was the last time you went into a major record store, excepting the major ones in the big cities, and saw them promoting classical music outside the Charlotte Churchs, three tenors etc... ?

The LSO label was an excellent idea especially releasing the discs at £4.99 price point - but being critical most of the material released has been very mainstream - Elgar,Brahms,Shostakovich,Mahler.

Apart from buying classical vinyl on ebay the bulk of my digital recordings now come from labels such as Hyperian, Chandos, Harmonia Mundi, Bis, Opus 111, Kairos and other such labels. Not only do they have some excellent artists but they release more original material and allow you find composers outside of the big boys such as Granville Bantock, Kalavi Aho, Beat Furrer, etc...

As for complete cantatas - I can think of at least 3 cycles currently going on at the moment - 2 of which (Gardiner and Koopman) were both dropped by their major labels and been resurrected by the conducters trying to do it on their own - the other (Suzuki) on Bis is still going strong (I think).

The best material put out by Emi and DG (for example) recently has been their back catalogue repackaged and more affordable.

And like Tones Cantatas are excellent.

would be enormously improved if someone could strangle the moron who wants to show that he knows when the piece ends by shouting or applauding right on the last note. Please, someone.

But it's not surprising that major labels are cutting back on committments. when cheap labels like Naxos and Brilliant Records can sell superb quality discs of both mainstream and less well-known works. Add to these the back-catalogue reissues from Regis and you have a wealth of good music for around a fiver a disc.

Surely if the sound quality of the performance is top notch...
It doesn't matter what label its on... people will buy it.

I am not one for buying complete boxsets though, much prefer to buy the recording of the piece I want to hear.

Originally posted by KenM
would be enormously improved if someone could strangle the moron who wants to show that he knows when the piece ends by shouting or applauding right on the last note. Please, someone.

I completely agree - I'm going to the MacMillan / Birtwistle concert at the Barbican tomorrow night - and I shall bring my garrotting kit.

-- T

advertisement

Back