advertisement

The Fall on Radio 3 tonight (Friday)

sideshowbob

Champagne fascia aficionado
10.15pm, on Mixing It, a session and an interview with M.E.S.

I didn't think I'd ever live to see the day The Fall were featured on Radio 3 :)

-- Ian

Was he chewing some sort of boiled sweet throughout that interview or was he playing with his false teeth? Is he always that bonkers? Thought the music was quite good, nice growly bass-playing.

And tonight , Mixing It has the rather wonderful PJ Harvey playing a semi acoustic set .

Glenda

Hell, yes.

Don't ask me to recommend the best place to start, I'll only say "Buy them all", and there's hundreds of them.

But you could do worse than start with the most recent, Fall Heads Roll.

-- Ian

Alex-

I have "Hex Education Hour", "This Nation's Saving Grace", and "Rough Trade Anthology". And one other whose name escapes me.

Anyway, they are all really good.

sideshowbob said:
Hell, yes.

Don't ask me to recommend the best place to start, I'll only say "Buy them all", and there's hundreds of them.

The wonderfully-titled '50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong' anthology is a good starting point IMO.

Nah!! Start with 'Grotesque'. All the famous fall wit and madness is in there and it's playedwith astonishing vitality and energy.

John

But Grotesque, wonderful though it is, isn't as good as Live at the Witch Trials, or Dragnet, or Hex Enduction Hour, or (contd p. 94)

-- Ian

Being a real old Fall nerd it is a fact that the Grotesque tracks on the Peel sessions box set are way better than the LP versions. This actually caused me to revolt and go off them for about a year back then! Silly arse.

Rich

Sounds like I need the Peel sessions box set then

"..and there's no thanks, from the loading bay bay ranks.." etc.

Smegger wrote:

He is NOT appreciated.....!

lol

"Only two did not hate him: pet shop owner and vet, Cameron..

..because peasants fear local indifference"

and of course

"bad indigestion, bad bowel retention..

..the customs bastards, roll-on roll-off"

Tony L: If my posts are making this thread is too VI-form, please feel free to cull them.

On the subject of school/ VI-from (alright, i know we weren't) does anybody remember fights breaking out at school over bands/artists merit or lack of?

Of course, we've all grown up now and no longer argue about such trivial and inconsequential things) :rolleyes:

John

On the subject of school/ VI-from (alright, i know we weren't) does anybody remember fights breaking out at school over bands/artists merit or lack of?

In the junior school (i.e. up to 10 years old) I attended boys were allowed to like T.Rex or Slade and girls had the choice between The Osmonds and The Bay City Rollers. I picked T.Rex, and 33 years later still reflect on making the correct choice. Still love it.

Come senior school I’d pretty much dropped out and was filed under ‘class weirdo’. Pre-76 I was into Hawkwind / Man / Groundhogs and a fair bit of prog. When I was 13-14, punk happened, I bought in pretty hard and pretty much changed record collection over night by trading with other kids or part-exchanging at Reaction Records, New Brighton (my weeks school dinner money was handed over that shop’s counter every Saturday).

I don’t remember being involved in any fighting at school as such, IIRC I went through the whole of secondary school without getting hit or hitting anyone. I think the group I hung around with were regarded as being so bloody odd other people just stayed away and left us alone. Hot albums of the time were Devo – Are We Not Men, Pistols – Bollocks, Patti Smith – Horses, Television – Marquee Moon, TRB – Power In The Darkness etc and a huge number of brightly coloured 7” singles.

It took me a long while to realise that the stuff I abandoned for punk was actually pretty damn good. I’ve since replaced the early Hawkwind, Man etc that I initially traded in for punk.

Tony.

Spooky! Must be a 40-something male thing. I was into Slade marginally more than T Rex at the time. I used to run home at lunch time on whatever day the new singles chart rundown was on (Thursday?) and write out as many copies as I could of the top 20 in the hour and run back to school and sell them at 10p each to all the kids who stayed for lunch. I remember the excitement when Cum On Feel The Noize went straight in at No.1 - no-one talked about anything else all afternoon.

I then followed the Slade route into heavier rock stuff like Deep Purple, Led Zep, Thin Lizzy etc but then sold all that lot in early '77 after listening to Peel play New Rose, Anarchy, Blank Generation etc and my mate Kev playing me Damned, Damned, Damned. A real sea change in my musical beliefs. I guess I have probably only bought back some Beatles, Stones, Lizzy and for some odd reason Steely Dan from all that pre-punk stuff I sold.

Definitely no fighting though - we knew we were cooler than the rest - and so did they!

Cheers

Rich

advertisement

Back