advertisement

The Entire ECM label disappears from Spotify

Ive been a subscriber to Spotify for quite a while now, and have noticed of late quite a lot of my play-list(s) disappearing, the latest to go is unfortunately the entire ECM catalogue!
It would be OK but some of the ECM albums are long out of print and are considerable amounts of money, and this was a great way of getting access to the music :(

The other bad news is that Phil Collins's entire back catalogue is still available, Oh the humanity!

http://www.spotifyclassical.com/2010/12/my-guesswork-on-whats-going-on-between.html

Unfortunately, Bob Dylan is not there either although, bizarrely, the recent Witmark album was and then mysteriously disappeared before I got round to listening to it!

Neither is the Zep, Peter Gabriel or Pink Floyd.

Not sure why some big acts are and others not or where they are only some albums and not others.

I still don't get it .... most of my mates who use spotify have bought more cd's than they have ever

plus the fact that spotify allows you to buy tracks for your MP3 etc ... seems like spotify is here to stay

does not seem to be good business practise to me .... or am I missing something?

.... and dont forget, theres always grooveshark.com .... free to register, works similar to spotify and no adverts on the free version ... I have found many tracks on greooveshark that are not avail on spotify

I dont mind if some of the mainstream work disappears or isn't on there because it still in print and is quite accessible, you can usually find it on Youtube if you want a quick listen before you buy a recording of it.
A lot of the work that has gone is quite rare and very hard to find.

Lots of Impulse! recordings have gone too!

dim span many thanks!

Just signed onto grooveshark and listening to Dazed and Confused! Not on spotify. How do they make it pay without adverts?

Ive been a subscriber to Spotify for quite a while now, and have noticed of late quite a lot of my play-list(s) disappearing, the latest to go is unfortunately the entire ECM catalogue!
It would be OK but some of the ECM albums are long out of print and are considerable amounts of money, and this was a great way of getting access to the music :(

The other bad news is that Phil Collins's entire back catalogue is still available, Oh the humanity!

http://www.spotifyclassical.com/2010/12/my-guesswork-on-whats-going-on-between.html

A couple of years ago I was staying in Prague and spotted a little Jazz orientated store in the square. I was looking for Nils Petter Molvaer but the shop owned didn't have it in stock. He did offer to get it and in the same conversation told me that ECM never take any of their catalogue out of print. (I found this a little hard to believe) Do you know what it is specifically you are after and is it not available directly from ECM.

I've ordered direct before and have had great service from them.

There are quite a few albums that have gone out of print over the last few years on CD. For some of them, it is not economic to do another reprint as they sell in such small numbers. Others will get a reprint when the label decides to do so.

If you look through their website you will, for example, John Abercrombie Characters only available now as a download and there are quite a few others like this.

dim span many thanks!

Just signed onto grooveshark and listening to Dazed and Confused! Not on spotify. How do they make it pay without adverts?

pleasure .... from what I have read, they make their money from people who pay to download tracks for their iphones etc and royalties are then paid to the artists

A real shame, makes spotify much less worthwhile for me. I don't think grooveshark can be streamed? (I have been using spotify with apple airfoil).

This is annoying. I had it in mind to go through all the Anouar Brahem albums properly on Spotify, and lots of other ECM things. If Naxos withdraw that will be worse.

Slightly off topic, but just how good can Spotify Premium sound if you have a really excellent DAC, but still use Airport Express? I use a cheap NOS DAC at home with AE, and its not bad; very good for window shopping, but with headphones straight into MacBookPro this holiday I've been thinking that 320Kbps is quite impressive.

Does this happen often, these Spotify Spats between them and labels is it? It will be about money somewhere. The royalties must have dried up.

DS

How do they make it pay without adverts?

They datamine and flog your details.
mi.jpg

I read in an interview with Manfred Eichcer that he wasn't keen on MP3 players and people shuffling through albums of different artist, and that the albums should be listened to in their entirety as the artist intended.

Obviously the computer/streaming is an amazing thing, sure you discover lots of new work, but its harder to get know the music your listening to, my listening has become more fractured.
After a while you realise something important goes missing (for me it shares a lot of similarities with using a digital instead of a film camera).
Being able to fondle and appreciate the album as a physical thing, a piece of art, is important.
I'm making a concious effort to just play more CDs in their entirety, and get to know them off by heart like i used to. With that im off to put on a CD :)

So put them up as a single track then. If it was that important to Eicher the CDs and LPs would have been released this way.

advertisement

Back