advertisement

The end for Naim and Focal?

Naim was never cheap but was somehow good value. Its been over-priced by a factor of at least two for at least two decades. Will this move bring it more in to line or just line deeper and more pockets? I wonder.

Nailed there Alex. In the late 70s I wanted to buy a couple of their featureless (in every sense) boxes but they were f**k off expensive compared to a Quad 34/405 so I bought the comparatively budget priced Quad's instead. Buy cheap buy twice was a lesson learned the hard way.

Mr Tibbs

Naim controlled the press in a time when audio was big and the press was the only source of information for the buying public.

The world really has moved on. It's remarkable that any companies from the earlier age remain - and a tribute to the management of the few that adapted successfully.

They seem to me to have become a "lifestyle brand" (much as that makes me want to vomit). My recent experiences at what I used to regard as "my dealer" seem to bear this out. Thank God I've just snapped up a CB Nait 2 and am about to buy a Nait XS-2. Looking forward to the comparison and RIP JV.

They (naim, focal) tried to grow too quickly and ran out of money as their products are too expensive, and now they've had to sell their soul and hole to the devil.

Naim were the vision and design of JV. The Bolt Down, Chrome Bumper and Olive eras all produced very engaging and interesting HiFi, always expensive but just about doable for those who are enthusiasts in this hobby.

It was obvious to me the merge with Focal would allow this sort of thing to happen.

I doubt the owners give a sh1t about music, the bottom line is all that matters.

They could be selling computers or smart phones, it doesn't matter.

Naim lost the plot after JV left the scene. Comparing CDS3 with CDS2 tells you everything you need to know.

P.S. No Naim/Focal thread is complete without this classic picture. The longer you examine it, the worse it gets.

band-photo_hi-res_med.jpg

It's a trend in modern audio....the 'consolidation' of luxury brands so that they can be milked for the Asian market. Sonus Faber, Audio Research, Macintosh, Luxman ... and now Naim.

Wasn't Luxman always an Asian company?

And what's wrong with selling to markets in Asia anyway? Don't Harbeth sell well in China? Shouldn't other European manufacturers strive to sell in the Far East? BMW?

Sonus faber make the Venere range in China, but AFAIK the other ranges are still made in Vicenza.

Surely the important question is whether R&D and manufacturing continues in Europe, and whether the focus remains on quality engineering. I grant there are reasons to be concerned. But right now the best selling high-end hi-fi component is designed and manufactured in France. (Clue: it begins with 'd'.)

All this stuff about milking brands for the Asian market is nonsense.

For all we know it will be business as usual in Salsbury.
Sometimes the country of manufacture is just as important as the performance and there are a subset of uk audiophiles who will actively shop for British made equipment, just as there are overseas buyers for British made audio. Look at the percentage of Harbeth sales going into Asia which IIRC outstrips uk sales.

This has been the case with Naim to some degree. The actual products are generally of good quality but easily matched by far cheaper competition. The secret ingredients are the badge, legacy, service capability and uk manufacture.

To shift production out of the uk or do anything to mess with the reputation for good service would be suicidal.

The badges will live on.

Precisely! This is the way the world is going, indeed has gone. How the equipment sounds has really little importance. It only needs to sound "impressive," which usually means it does not sound that good. The rest is all about brand prestige, trendy looks, how expensive it makes your living room look, fuelled by advertising and editorial advertising. People are selling and buying images, not substance. A brand with a glorious history, an aura of "the stereo for audiophiles", is perfect for this. I.e. for selling Naim to people who had never heard of Naim when Naim was Naim. (Does that make sense..?)

Andrew,

And that's why this superb sounding kit isn't going anywhere soon!
< Jedi Mind Trick >
You will give me your Nait.
< / Jedi Mind Trick >
Joe

Still cherish my un-recapped Olive Nait 2 I got in 1991. God forgive JV's successors as they don't know what they have done to my soul today. Amen!

advertisement

Back