advertisement

The Editors - The Back Room

Miserablists everywhere!

The Editors debut album 'The Back Room' is released on Monday. If the album is as good as the singles, especially 'Blood', then it's going to be a stonkingly good thing indeed.

Comparisons have been drawn to Joy Division, Interpol, Echo and The Bunnies, and erm The Blue Nile. Not sure about that last one, but that's just my view.

I'll be getting it.

Have you heard the album yet, ag ? I've looked at their www, and I am exceedingly pleasured by what I've heard ("munich" and "bullets").

Ta for the tip.

BOR

Brian

I have it. It is absolutely tremendous. There was an article in the Independant On Sunday about them (not sure if it's available online) which mentioned that theres a rumour that their original name was 'Boy Division', which tickled my funny bone.

Munich is the best track on the album, IMO, but it's all good.

Not exactly a happy-go-lucky-party-album though...

ag

Thanks, Alex. That'll do for me ! No parties planned, so I think it's worth a go.

Brian

My copy has still not arrived from the South American River etailer :(

It had better be good...

Boy Division.

Still makes me giggle.

Good album, IMO. Great for those days when you take 5.5 hours to travel 170 miles.

Well it finally arrived this morning...

Worth the wait? On first listen, yes.

Original? No, but they do what they do well, there are some good tunes in there.

Joy Division? obviously an influence in the song structures and the bass lines in particular but they lack the intensity of the original (but then who doesn't?).

Bunnymen? Didn't hear anything in the mix
Blue Nile? One song on the extra disc had overtones of Blue Nile.

They've definitely been listening to The Doves too...

Overall a good first effort. If you like any of the aforementioned well worth a punt. try and get the limited edition with the 'Cuttings' disc (b-sides apparently) as there is some good stuff on there too.

Good call Alex

I've listened to this a few times now and although it's nothing new, I'd agree that what they do, they do well.

I could learn to love it.

advertisement

Back